Book recommendation for feminist soon-to-stay-at-home mum
November 18, 2013 12:17 AM   Subscribe

Please help me find a good book gift for my amazing manager who is leaving before Christmas - after fifteen years in HR, she has decided to spend some time with her two school-age kids, one of whom is disabled and needs more time of her than she can manage whilst working.

She mentioned that her friends are giving her a hard time about not being a "good feminist" and I would like to be able to give her a book that meets the following criteria: 1/feminist 2/positive about parenting 3/balanced perspective about stay at home mums 4/ideally addresses issues of parenting a disabled child 5/UK context would be great but not essential. Any suggestions appreciated!
posted by coffee_monster to Writing & Language (4 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

i don't have any book recs unfortunately, but i think she would do well to have a snappy comeback. this is what i would say: feminism is about giving women options not forcing them into binary roles.
posted by wildflower at 12:30 AM on November 18, 2013 [2 favorites]

She mentioned that her friends are giving her a hard time about not being a "good feminist"

The Feminist Economics wiki page led me to a primary book on feminist economics: If Women Counted.

i don't have any book recs unfortunately, but i think she would do well to have a snappy comeback. this is what i would say: feminism is about giving women options not forcing them into binary roles.

Or "Your position as a feminist is that my unpaid labor as a mother has no value? "
posted by sebastienbailard at 2:07 AM on November 18, 2013 [3 favorites]

You might find something at blue milk, PhD in Parenting or offbeat families - all are feminist/parenting focused and do occasional book reviews.
posted by raxast at 11:57 AM on November 18, 2013 [1 favorite]

> ideally addresses issues of parenting a disabled child

As far as that goes, I've liked (with some reservations) My Baby Rides the Short Bus and Shut Up About Your Perfect Kid, to think of two off the top of my head.

I should be able to come up with more, since I myself meet all your criteria except for the UK bit, but to be honest: I'd rather read something funny. When people have given me books about raising children with disabilities, it's bugged me. To begin with, it feels like homework. And if the gift-giver isn't in the same boat as me (they never are) it feels almost condescending, like "Here's a book I heard people like you should read." But this might just be me.
posted by The corpse in the library at 2:35 PM on November 18, 2013

« Older How do I swap houses with my mother?   |   Seeking gunk-free mascara Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.