Running - but for the arms??

Running has done amazing wonders for my tree trunk like legs. I am wondering if there is an equivalent exercise to get shapely arms?

Thanks to my European peasant stock heritage my legs tend toward the stocky, tree trunk variety - no shape. After dabbling in all sorts of exercises over the years, I noticed that running actually gives them a nice, lithe shape.

I want to achieve a similar result with my arms, which are also stocky and tend toward bulky if I am not careful. Complicating matters is that I put on muscle crazy-easy (those shape magazines that say women can't build bulk like men easily are flat out lying - I sure can w/o hardly trying) Has anyone in the hivemind found such an exercise to produce similar results for my arms?

Thank you for reading! All thoughts welcome!
posted by WinterSolstice to Health & Fitness (12 answers total) 22 users marked this as a favorite

Jump rope?
posted by oceanjesse at 10:01 AM on November 14, 2013

Swimming.
posted by thewumpusisdead at 10:05 AM on November 14, 2013 [1 favorite]

I had the same problem. I was running and getting great results with my waist and legs and what not but my arms were kinda meh. I started running with hand weights. 3lbs in both hands at first and then 5lbs after a while. My arms and shoulders became defined and strong in a muscular sense but not at all BEEFY as they may if I did strength building exercises.
posted by Young Kullervo at 10:08 AM on November 14, 2013

pushups.
posted by zdravo at 10:16 AM on November 14, 2013 [1 favorite]

Pilates and yoga will help tone your arms if you're already doing a lot of cardio exercise to burn fat.
posted by something something at 10:16 AM on November 14, 2013 [5 favorites]

If you want your arms to look a different way without adding muscle, you're going to have to remove fat, so I would say the prescription is yet more running.
posted by ftm at 10:19 AM on November 14, 2013 [3 favorites]

Yes! The armcycle machine! I don't know what is so radically different about it from other types of exercise but for the first time in my life (and rather late in life) I have enviable upper arms. Arms that get compliments, which is just incredible to me.
posted by HotToddy at 10:50 AM on November 14, 2013 [4 favorites]

Free weights do the trick. Just do standard biceps, triceps and shoulder exercises.
posted by bearwife at 12:39 PM on November 14, 2013

seconding yoga! my arms have never been so toned. (sun salutations are particularly good for this).
posted by bearette at 1:44 PM on November 14, 2013

front crawl swimming with pool buoy. I swim twice a week with pool buoy for around 45 min each session. my arms are awesome now. (I also put on muscle really easily). I have been trying to add breaststroke in too to try to get somewhere with my legs.
posted by Tandem Affinity at 5:02 PM on November 14, 2013

Rowing machine - I can't personally use it because of an elbow thinger but I know people who are happy with it.

Also, pull-ups/chin-ups, assisted if you need it (I definitely did at first and am now up to a respectable number of unassisted! You can do it!).
posted by en forme de poire at 6:03 PM on November 14, 2013

Third for yoga. Look for a Baptiste power yoga studio.
posted by corn_bread at 7:25 PM on November 15, 2013

« Older Zap! Pow! Wizards grow up!   |   Several characters in search of a plot Newer »