Who made this candle holder, and where can I find its mate?

My mom gave me a single orange candle holder that was my late grandmother's. It was with a lot of her Fiestaware stuff, but it doesn't seem to be actual Fiestaware (and she had a lot of knockoffs). She most likely bought it in the mid to late 1940s. I would like to get another one similar to it or something sort of matching, but I'm striking out. Help!
posted by kendrak to Shopping (5 answers total)

Knockoffs are good; I remember something about original Fiestaware leaching lead until a change in manufacturing in the early 90s.

Anyway, one of the great things about Fiestaware is that is was designed to mix and match. You could pair it with a different style of Fiestaware candle holder; the Fiestaware yellow and orange look good together, as do some of the blues.
posted by DarlingBri at 11:33 AM on November 6, 2013

Are there any maker's markings on the bottom of the candle holder?

Being made in the US, Fiestaware has been subject to FDA rules on lead content from at least the mid-1980's. Unless cracked or damaged, even pre-1986 Fiestaware is perfectly safe, as far as lead is concerned. It's actually the knockoffs, usually manufactured in China, that you should be cautious about.
posted by Thorzdad at 11:51 AM on November 6, 2013

Looks more like Bauer pottery than fiesta.
posted by Sophie1 at 12:00 PM on November 6, 2013 [2 favorites]

Small pieces of Fiestaware, like candlesticks, will not have a mark on the bottom, as Homer Laughlin was bound by copyright rules that did not (for reasons I'm still unclear on) extend to small items. That said, that piece is not a Fiestaware piece I'm at all familiar with. Several brands produced knock-offs or similar items, most notably Carnaval Pottery and Harlequin Pottery (which was actually designed by the same person who designed Fiestaware and is sold by Homer Laughlin as well).

I'm guessing from the design that this is a knock-off of indeterminate origin. It has a similar look to Fiesta, but isn't really in the Art Deco family. The color is also a tip off that it probably isn't a piece by a famous maker, as Fiesta stopped with the orange dyes in 1944 (the original "red" was the deep orange that was radioactive). There's a new color that is orange, but anything from that era would have been an original Fiesta piece and that design just isn't one of those.

I don't know how to get a mate for it -- it might look stunning in an arrangement with a few other art-deco-y candlesticks as a grouping. Finding this exact piece will likely be impossible, so I'd look into how to display it without needing a matching pair.

posted by mrfuga0 at 2:50 AM on November 7, 2013

Whoa! Thanks for the responses. I thought maybe Bauer, since grandma has a lot of Bauer/US Pottery but never really thought of the art deco angle. Lo and behold - I found a pair in white. Y'all put me on the right track.
posted by kendrak at 3:39 PM on November 7, 2013

« Older Making a book of Favorate Tweets   |   "Fake it till you make it," but how, exactly? Newer »