Getting my batch file to work?

I'm trying to set up a computer for my son. I've got it so instead of launching Windows Explorer, it instead silently loads up a batch file. My problem is working with the darn thing, and getting it to do what I want. Long story short, I want Steam Bit Picture Mode, the VoIP software Mumble, and, if I can, some form of Google Hangouts to load up on computer launch. My current batch file is included after the break.

@echo off
rem taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
start /d "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\" Steam.exe
start /d "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mumble\" /MINIMIZED mumble.exe

I do realize that the second line does nothing - it's a hold over from an earlier attempt, but it shouldn't be causing troubles, should it?

And I don't have anything about G+ or GHangouts in there, yet, as I can't even seem to get Mumble to launch. Big Picture Steam is launching just fine, though, and explorer is NOT starting up, which is the desired outcome.

Maybe it goes without saying, but no, I can't put something in the startup folder, as that isn't launched until explorer is.

Help! :)

P.S.: This is under Windows 7, if that matters.
posted by TrueVox to Computers & Internet (7 answers total)

Response by poster: Oh, and it may not matter, but to be clear, it would be best if Mumble started Minimized, so he didn't have to worry about it. I'm trying to set up a foolproof setup for him.
posted by TrueVox at 12:43 PM on November 3, 2013

Does the batch file work when the system is running?

If so perhaps mumble has a dependency which isn't satisfied when the batch file is run at startup, or perhaps steam is hanging the batch file somehow. Try putting progress messages in the batch file which are sent to screen or disc. Also try reversing the two lines and see if it makes any difference.
posted by epo at 1:04 PM on November 3, 2013

This will be a lot easier to debug if you have the batch file run cmd.exe and then you can test issuing various commands from there.
posted by grouse at 1:08 PM on November 3, 2013

Response by poster: I have tried reversing the lines, and it just skips right over Mumble. I've tried Rem'ing out the Steam line, and it just comes up with nothing (just my cursor, which is to be expected if Explorer doesn't load). I don't think that there's a dependency issue, because I can then launch Mumble from the run dialog, all without having explorer open.

Happy to shove cmd.exe into there, but where & how & how will I use it to help?
posted by TrueVox at 1:14 PM on November 3, 2013

Best answer: OK! Fixed! It's (yet another) work around, but I made Mumble a link (in C:\tmp\) and just replaced the path to it, and it's working now.

Yay! Thanks, all!
posted by TrueVox at 1:32 PM on November 3, 2013

Best answer: For reference, my bat file now looks like this:

@echo off
rem taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
start /d "C:\tmp\" mumble.lnk

And the actual shortcut is set to open minimized.
posted by TrueVox at 1:33 PM on November 3, 2013

You might also just consider doing this with Windows Task Scheduler!
posted by kbanas at 6:51 PM on November 3, 2013 [1 favorite]

« Older Can you identify this vacation destination (c 1950...   |   Oven/Range Repair - North Orange County Edition Newer »