I need monitor nipples? What are they called and where can I get 'em?
October 31, 2013 8:25 PM   Subscribe

My monitor uses a DVI port. Plugging in a DVI cable works perfectly except for one flaw: the 2 screw nipple thingamabobs are missing on the sides of the port on the monitor, which means the screws on the DVI cable have nothing to screw into to lock the cable in place. If anything bumps the DVI cable at all, it can fall out of the socket. So, I'm desperate to find a pair of those little nipple doodads, which should look like the nut looking things with screw holes to the sides of the blue VGA port in this image. Instead of those things, my monitor has holes where those used to be screwed into. What are they called and where can I get them?
posted by 2oh1 to Computers & Internet (8 answers total)
Best answer: They are, in a different use (motherboard mounting) called "standoff"s and Micro Center or any decent computer parts store should have them for next to nothing.
posted by notsnot at 8:29 PM on October 31, 2013

Response by poster: BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!

Asked and answered, lickety-split.
posted by 2oh1 at 8:38 PM on October 31, 2013

Response by poster: Do you think a hardware store would have them?
posted by 2oh1 at 8:43 PM on October 31, 2013

Best answer: If you need some, I've got some. Pull em off computers all the time at work. Just Me-Mail me your address and I'll get a couple sent your way.
posted by deezil at 9:19 PM on October 31, 2013

As an added tip, you'll want to use a 3/16" nut driver or socket to torque these guys down - gently but firmly. If you only screw them in finger-tight they'll come off when you remove your cable, and getting them off the cable is a real hassle without that same nut driver.
posted by pocams at 9:28 PM on October 31, 2013

Ideally, there should be a nut on the opposite side of the sheet metal to help hold it on. Just using the threads in the sheet metal isn't very good. (which means getting inside the monitor. Maybe have a qualified tech put them on?)
posted by Chocolate Pickle at 9:46 PM on October 31, 2013

Response by poster: I have a feeling the originals were removed when the previous owner removed his/her DVI cable. I don't need them to be particularly tight... just screwed in well enough to prevent my DVI cable from falling off/out/etc.
posted by 2oh1 at 10:09 PM on October 31, 2013

Response by poster: A billion thank-you's to deezil, who sent me a few monitor cable nipp... er... "standoffs." As I suspected, the holes on either side of the cable connection on the monitor where the standoffs should have been were screw holes deep enough to lock the standoffs in place once screwed in. And screw those teeny tiny mofos is precisely what I did, though not tightly. Now, my DVI cable is securely screwed in - again, not particularly tightly, but well enough to keep it held in place.

Problem solved! Thank you deezil, and thank you metafilter!
posted by 2oh1 at 6:32 PM on November 7, 2013 [1 favorite]

« Older Throttle Application bandwidth by Process, not by...   |   Do I have to use our wedding photographer's online... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.