Hired based on a phone call and one copy draft alone - is Google crazy?

A friend of mine was just offered a temp-to-hire content writing job with Google without ever meeting actual people. Is this not unusual?

A friend of mine was just offered a temp-to-hire content writing job with Google. The weird bit: he had one phone interview with a recruiter, one phone interview with the hiring manager, and one writing test. Based on just those three things, without ever meeting him or having him into a physical office or any face-to-face or background check or ANYTHING, they offered him a temp-to-hire job today.

He wants to take the job because, you know, GOOGLE, but he feels wary about jumping in light of such an unusual hiring process. The hiring person is a legit Google employee, with several direct reports and all. They also strongly want him to start next week, regardless of any other plans he may have. The job is temp-to-hire, so they can bounce him at any time, which maybe means they hire potentially bad fits all the time this way - ?

Is this a thing they are doing now? And does it not necessarily bode ill for his experience there?

Any anecdotal stuff is most welcome.
posted by Ink-stained wretch to Work & Money (6 answers total)

Google is generally known for being rigorous in their hiring, so this is not how they go about it for fulltime usually. My guess would be, yeah, this is temp work that they really need turned around quickly.
posted by tau_ceti at 9:01 PM on October 29, 2013 [3 favorites]

1. Most temps at Google are not made permanent.
2. Temps do not have all of the same benefits and privileges.

So while this is obviously a decent foot in the door, it is very, very far from the same thing as actually being hired as a full time Googler.
posted by primethyme at 9:08 PM on October 29, 2013 [3 favorites]

Google doesn't do temp-to-hire. They hire a lot of temps, who all have the possibility, however remote, of conversion to full-time (the conversion process is rigorous and includes new interviews, etc.) This possibility is dangled as a carrot, but is rarely fulfilled.

Which is not to say he will have a bad experience; but if he is currently at a full time job, he should not think about this as a "temp to hire," like it's a regular employee role that starts off hourly or whatever. It is a temp job through one of their onsite staffing agencies.
posted by fingersandtoes at 9:44 PM on October 29, 2013 [1 favorite]

I think this is legit but is unlikely to turn into a full-time position. I know someone who works at Google and the hiring process was intense. I've worked for tech companies as a temp (not content writing) and a freelance contractor (for content writing). The non-content writing job became permanent and involved a separate hiring process. The content writing gig did not, but could have continued indefinitely on a freelance basis. If your friend can take this without expecting it to be secure or become permanent anytime soon, then he should go for it. Even if it doesn't translate into a full-time position at Google, it will look good on his resume and may help him snag a gig elsewhere. Also, if he doesn't know this already, he should keep in mind that full time content writing positions with benefits are exceedingly rare. It's a shame, but freelance is the most popular model. Best of luck to him!
posted by katemcd at 10:53 PM on October 29, 2013

This is pretty normal for the course for a contracting job in technology, especially with hard-to-staff positions.
posted by sandmanwv at 6:10 AM on October 30, 2013 [1 favorite]

Thank you! I will pass this all on to him.
posted by Ink-stained wretch at 7:51 AM on October 30, 2013

« Older How can I make my "red tape menace" costume theme...   |   Make my home a factory for living Newer »