Revolutioary Party Suggestions required
October 25, 2013 11:43 PM   Subscribe

There is a custom with my husband's work that each person, at an unknown time, will be given 24 hours notice that they will be hosting a party. And the party has to have a theme. So my husband and I are already planning so when the inevitable happens we can get organised quickly. We have decided that when we get 'pinged' we want to have 'Revolution'as our theme. Costumes, drinks and playlist are all easy, and decorations are not expected. But we are stuck on one thing - party games

Now, I hate party games, but they are expected. And while the most revolutionary thing would be to say 'no' it's not going to happen. So please help me - can you suggest any party games that can work with a revolution theme - renaming/reworking games you know is fine.
There will be anything from 12 to 30 people, all adults. There will be an expectation for at least a few drinking games, but they don't all have to be. Sitting around, cereberal, long thinking games will not be welcome (more's the pity). So within those parameters - what can I organise?
posted by Megami to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (15 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

Pin the beard on the Marx.

You could also do a "guess the famous communist when they were younger" (Stalin was astonishingly hot!)

Bobbing for apples severed heads.

"Let them eat cake" blind taste guessing game with cakes

Pinata variant with Berlin wall.

Pompadour modelling comp with photo booth.
posted by smoke at 12:04 AM on October 26, 2013 [5 favorites]

True American from "The New Girl?".
Lots of American Revolution ideas.
posted by saradarlin at 12:09 AM on October 26, 2013

The card game Guillotine?

The game mafia/werewolf, but with the names of roles changed to something historically related to whatever revolution you want?
posted by LobsterMitten at 12:21 AM on October 26, 2013 [2 favorites]

Depending on the demographic of this office, chances are relatively high somebody will have played (or own) the card game Guillotine. It is very easy to pick up and fast to play, but definitely high on the nerd spectrum. It might be good for some down time between revolts, drunken barricade building, etc.
posted by Mizu at 12:22 AM on October 26, 2013 [1 favorite]

Play a game of Anti-Monopoly?
posted by The Whelk at 12:32 AM on October 26, 2013 [2 favorites]

A Chat regular, Purposeful Grimace, (who for some reason does not wish to leave his own answer) has suggested Dance Dance Revolution! DDR machines can be rented in most cities, but you might also be able to find friends with pads and the consoles.
posted by Mizu at 12:34 AM on October 26, 2013 [7 favorites]

Capitalism (the card game).
posted by rue72 at 12:35 AM on October 26, 2013

The game mafia/werewolf, but with the names of roles changed to something historically related to whatever revolution you want?

If you do this, you absolutely must have the roles as The Scarlet Pimpernel and Robespierre.
posted by smoke at 1:08 AM on October 26, 2013 [1 favorite]

Duck, duck, guillotine
posted by en forme de poire at 2:16 AM on October 26, 2013 [1 favorite]

Musical chairs to Revolution #9
posted by en forme de poire at 2:16 AM on October 26, 2013

Have a contest to see who can come up with the lamest infomercial idea. Everything in infomercials is revolutionary.
posted by headnsouth at 4:31 AM on October 26, 2013 [3 favorites]

The Resistance is a party game that resembles Mafia/Werewolves but does not rely on elimination, works with fewer players and takes only 30 minutes. It may be better for your purposes.
posted by carmicha at 5:07 AM on October 26, 2013 [3 favorites]

If you're open to card games, there's Mao
posted by twoporedomain at 7:34 AM on October 26, 2013

Dance Dance Revolution!
posted by fancyoats at 7:40 AM on October 26, 2013 [4 favorites]

A few rounds of Oranges and Lemons, for the sake of the "chop off your head" bit?
posted by penguin pie at 7:55 AM on October 26, 2013

« Older Help me plan an outdoor scavenger hunt for five 13...   |   GiclĂ©e printer in the uk Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.