What would you do?
October 16, 2013 6:39 PM   Subscribe

My brother needs a bit of an advice as he is faced with two job offers one of which he has accepted.But...

Here is the scenario-

You are looking for a job and interview with different companies. You get an offer from one company A which is not your first choice. You wait for an offer from a large company B but you do not get one. You accept the offer from the company A, however a few days before you start you get a much larger $ offer from company B. This is a much wanted company which would look great on your resume however the culture is tough/political. Company A is smaller and a bit risque regarding future growth and it will do nothing for your resume to make you more marketable. But the culture seems more relaxed.

Which job offer would you go with, why and how would you do it.
posted by ladoo to Work & Money (14 answers total)
 
You accepted the job at Company A so you take the job at Company A because you agreed to.
posted by radioamy at 6:43 PM on October 16, 2013 [2 favorites]


Company B because I am not afraid of a challenge, the resume enhancement is worth something down the line and I like money.
posted by JohnnyGunn at 6:44 PM on October 16, 2013 [3 favorites]


Option B sounds a lot better. More promising, more money, go for that one.
posted by katypickle at 6:45 PM on October 16, 2013


I would go with my gut. Your brother is instinctively leaning one way or the other, and that's the way he should go.
posted by something something at 6:46 PM on October 16, 2013 [2 favorites]


If you decide you want to take the company B offer, then take that offer and just understand that you probably won't be able to work with company A again. Company B sounds far more promising, and I'd probably opt for that one myself.
posted by Nimmie Amee at 6:46 PM on October 16, 2013


Company B. It will burn some bridges, but you don't have a moral responsibility to Company A.
posted by SpacemanStix at 6:48 PM on October 16, 2013


I had a similar situation. Job A wasn't first choice, but would be kinda cool. Job B sounded like a perfect fit but took a little while to get their ducks in a row and make an offer. So I took Job A. Then I found out that Job A would take almost 8 months to get me in the door, but they were cool and told me about that up front. A week after I took the offer on Job A, Job B called up and wanted me to start in 2 weeks.

The jobs were in the same field, but the companies were in two different industries. So I called Job A, explained the situation and respectfully declined the position. Then I took Job B. It has been more high stress and is a much more demanding position than I think Job A would have been, but I'm rewarded with a good bit more cash and a position that can grow as my career grows.

Ran into someone who worked for Company A at a conference this year and she mentioned how she'd been looking forward to meeting me. Turns out, they got a kid fresh out of grad school in the position and they love him. She actually mentioned that one of the few hesitations they had about me was that I would get bored and be looking for a better position. Which I totally would have. All in all, I took the right job.

Go with your gut on this one.
posted by teleri025 at 7:11 PM on October 16, 2013 [1 favorite]


What would his boss be like at each company? On a day-to-day basis, your boss has more of an impact on your life at work than almost anything else.

The culture of company B being tough/political gives me pause. I worked in a notoriously difficult tech company and it had that reputation for a reason. At all levels and in all divisions of the company, people were desperately unhappy. So much so that all of us who escaped now talk about people still there in sad, hushed tones, as if they're detainees in North Korea. Company B probably isn't that bad. But company culture is important - and if the culture is difficult, it becomes even more important to have a supportive boss.

So here's a quick checklist of things to examine before deciding:
1. Boss
2. Team
3. Your actual role
4. Company culture
5. Growth potential
6. Money

Finally, if he does decline Company B, do so quickly and forthrightly. That way they'll still want him if things end up not working out with Company A. If you back out of the Company A offer, there's no going back to them.
posted by leitmotif at 7:21 PM on October 16, 2013 [4 favorites]


Take the challenging job while he's still young and ambitious. This scenario happens all the time and most companies completely understand. He goes to Company A with the concrete offer from Company B in hand, explain the salary issue, thank Company A profusely for their offer, and move on down the road.
posted by raisingsand at 8:30 PM on October 16, 2013 [1 favorite]


I think the main concern being expressed is burning bridges with Company A by calling them and telling them, on second thought, no, thanks.

It happens. So the decision process should not include how Company A will take it. It's a normal thing to occur. As long as you're up front about it, then don't worry about it. Stay in touch with the folks at Company A via networking and always thank them.

If the money is more, that's a factor to consider when still in the early stages of career. Creating that baseline will help in the future.

But, you want to be happy at the job and not thinking of moving on in a year. Liking the boss and co-workers is the biggest thing. And making sure you're going to enjoy doing what the job is.
posted by rich at 5:40 AM on October 17, 2013


I'm IN this situation. I'm actually doing all the stuff for Job A right now. I'm waiting for the background check. If job B comes in with an offer, if it's more $$ I'll take it!

In the end, you work for yourself, not your employer. Make all of your decisions in your own enlightened self-interest.
posted by Ruthless Bunny at 6:33 AM on October 17, 2013


you don't have a moral responsibility to Company A.

This is only true if your word has no value.
posted by DWRoelands at 9:45 AM on October 17, 2013 [1 favorite]


I think this depends somewhat on the field and the companies involved. If this is a large field and Company A is pretty big and corporate, I think your brother will probably be OK reneging and going with the second offer. He may not be able to work for A in the future, but it probably won't have impacts beyond that.

However, if it's a smaller field, there's probably more gossip, and it might hurt him - especially if Company B is a direct competitor. This will be even more so if Company A is pretty small - a larger company with a well-developed HR dept and hiring process will probably find it pretty easy to replace him, but if it's a smaller company, they will be more put out and more likely to gossip.
posted by lunasol at 2:45 PM on October 17, 2013


Response by poster: Thanks so much for all the replies. He has signed the first offer but is in a At Will employment State.

DWRoelands--I agree however corporations have no use for anyone's "word". When they lay you off or fire you they couldn't care less that you gave them your word. The only thing corporations care about is the $ bottom line. Thanks again, I will convey these choices to him.
posted by ladoo at 1:14 PM on October 19, 2013


« Older What does a non-leather guy wear to a fetish ball?   |   ...and my father's father before him. Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.