Unusual APIs

I have become obsessed with cool and unusual web APIs, especially those that interact with the real world (read or write). Help me find some more.

Here's the kind of thing I mean:

shirts.io let's you POST and address and artwork, and a few weeks later a t-shirt magically appears on your doorstep!

The Sunlight Foundation APIs let you query nearly real-time data about the official happenings on Capitol Hill, including bills, votes, and legislators. There's even an interface to programmatically inspect campaign contributions parse out of SEC filings and the like.

Twilio is an API to phones the world round, including SMS messages and those horrible automated voicemail mazes.

What other cool APIs am I missing?
posted by LiteOpera to Computers & Internet (6 answers total) 29 users marked this as a favorite

Mechanical Turk has an API. I think it's awesome, because with the right kind of request you can "program" people.
posted by Brent Parker at 9:01 AM on October 12, 2013

Best answer: http://www.programmableweb.com/apis/directory
posted by Simon_ at 10:18 AM on October 12, 2013 [3 favorites]

Cheerlights lets you set lights via api
posted by ironicon at 11:44 AM on October 12, 2013 [1 favorite]

The wunderground weather API has a huge amount of information beyond just the weather in the JSON it returns. And if you're only doing a few calls per hour it's all free.
posted by y6y6y6 at 8:49 PM on October 12, 2013

A long time ago, somebody reverse-engineered the Domino's Pizza online ordering system and wrote a client to let you order pizzas from the command line. The page has been taken down and the code almost certainly doesn't work after 9 years, but it's still a pretty cool concept.
posted by teraflop at 8:59 AM on October 13, 2013

Best answer: Programmable Web is a website that lists information about available web APIs. Here is their list of the most popular APIs: http://www.programmableweb.com/apis/directory/1?sort=mashups
posted by nalyd at 1:26 PM on October 13, 2013

« Older Trying to find a song...   |   Space heaters and home automation help Newer »