Any thoughts on the safety of giving cats Sleepytime Tea?

Sleepytime Tea gets my cat high, I found out accidentally after dropping a tea bag. I mean, catnip high. Any thoughts as to whether it would be dangerous to cats? Is this a just say no to drugs situation or a pass the pipe situation?
posted by angrycat to Pets & Animals (14 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

There's a lot of mint in the tea. Catnip is a type of mint. I'd stick to catnip for the cat simply because you don't know exactly what's in the tea, but it probably is not a big deal. I had a cat who was insane about toothpaste, fwiw.
posted by Tandem Affinity at 6:04 AM on October 6, 2013

Yes, one of my cats likes breaking into the mint tea bags to get her kicks. I've cut her off.
posted by Helga-woo at 6:07 AM on October 6, 2013 [1 favorite]

Best answer: One of the main ingredients is chamomile, which is toxic to cats.
posted by lollusc at 6:08 AM on October 6, 2013 [2 favorites]

Response by poster: Oh shit. This happened this morning. What should I be looking for, in terms of toxic rx? (I really don't know how much/if she ingested; she tore the bag apart and rolled around)
posted by angrycat at 6:28 AM on October 6, 2013

Response by poster: and she seems to be okay
posted by angrycat at 6:39 AM on October 6, 2013

A very small amount of dried chamomile is unlikely to hurt an otherwise healthy adult cat. You can even find it in some vitamins or supplements aimed at cats. It's the oils which are worse, so you don't want a plant around, and I wouldn't let the cats get at the tea again just in case, but the cat is likely fine.

Hide the tea, and perhaps give her little tea bags full of catnip instead?
posted by jeather at 6:50 AM on October 6, 2013 [1 favorite]

Eh, I would watch for vomiting and diarrhea, but really just don't let them have any more tea bags. I would not worry about this at all. (They're probably a bit loopy from the valerian in the tea.)

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/chamomile/257
posted by Uniformitarianism Now! at 6:52 AM on October 6, 2013 [1 favorite]

Response by poster: okay whew gonna hide the tea bags (WARNING TO ALL CAT OWNERS) because boy she was going crazy for it. thanks all
posted by angrycat at 7:42 AM on October 6, 2013 [1 favorite]

You're probably fine. If you're still nervous - I once got afraid that my cat accidentally ate something that was toxic to cats, and even though it looked like he chewed on it and then immediately spit it out, I called a vet anyway and they told me I could try feeding him a little bit of plain white bread to "soak up" whatever may have been in there.

(Although, he didn't eat it, and he was fine anyway - the vet told me to watch for vomiting or diarhea, and he wasn't doing that so it was okay.)
posted by EmpressCallipygos at 7:46 AM on October 6, 2013

Yeah, it's probably the valerian. But if other ingredients in it are bad for cats, then obviously you should keep it away from them.
posted by escape from the potato planet at 8:50 AM on October 6, 2013

Could SleepyTime tea actually contain catnip? Catnip tea has a mild sedative effect on humans, so it wouldn't be surprising.
posted by qxntpqbbbqxl at 9:55 AM on October 6, 2013

Our cats may actually be more loopy for valerian than catnip.
posted by Good Brain at 6:50 PM on October 6, 2013

Their Tension Tamer tea actually has catnip in it, so I wouldn't be surprised if Sleepytime does too.
posted by WeekendJen at 5:34 AM on October 7, 2013

As an aside, there is no valerian in Sleepytime tea by Celestial Seasonings.
posted by RoadScholar at 4:44 AM on October 11, 2013

« Older I Am Sooooo Stuck On You   |   help me find this artist/architect studio blog Newer »