Can someone who speaks Russian please identify this song

I've made the post that this links to public so you can view it. Captured this today in St. Petersburg (hello any mefites in St Petersburg! I'm here till Monday!). It's so haunting and beautiful and I'd like to identify the song so that I can find it complete online. HALP.
posted by TestamentToGrace to Media & Arts (5 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite
The recognizable part of the lyrics includes the phrase: "не знает боже мое страдания" -- God doesn't know my suffering... it sounds like it could be a church hymn but I don't recognize it.
posted by LittleMy at 3:47 PM on October 5, 2013

It's not Russian; I'm not sure if it's Ukrainian, Belorussian, Church Slavic, or some mix. At any rate, the only recognizable part (for a Russian speaker) is what LittleMy quoted.
posted by languagehat at 5:57 PM on October 5, 2013

It's a garbled version of this sung in a mixture of Russian and Ukrainian. If you search for the first line of the linked lyrics, you can find more street beggars singing it and some professional performances in both languages. It's some kind of folk religious lament.
posted by Nomyte at 7:39 PM on October 5, 2013 [6 favorites]

oh my gosh Nomyte you are my hero/heroine!!!!!
posted by TestamentToGrace at 1:39 AM on October 6, 2013

posted by Nomyte at 1:52 AM on October 6, 2013

« Older What are the best web development companies to...   |   Where does the "gratitude" symbol come from? Newer »