Massachusetts employment Finder

What are the websites you use to find a new job? Is Monster still relevant? Do you use Boston.com?

FYI - My fabulous company is hiring an entry level receptionist -PM me if you know anyone or want more info
posted by jrc to Work & Money (7 answers total) 10 users marked this as a favorite

Because I work in nonprofits, I always look on Idealist.org. This may or may not be relevant to you, but I basically never see junk or spam ads on there.
posted by showbiz_liz at 12:45 PM on October 4, 2013

If I was looking for a receptionist job I'd probably hit up craigslist and the local newspaper sites.

For higher-level jobs I hit linkedin, that may work for receptionist but is probably pricey.
posted by magnetsphere at 12:51 PM on October 4, 2013

I think my company (in Boston area) used craigslist to find its last receptionist. Other thing would be college or HS career centers/alumni sites.
posted by chiefthe at 1:47 PM on October 4, 2013

There are also a high concentration of MeFites in that area, so consider MeFi Jobs as well.
posted by jessamyn at 1:53 PM on October 4, 2013

I don't know about Boston specifically, but I really don't think Monster or Careerbuilder are relevant anywhere anymore. I live in San Francisco and found my current job on Craigslist, and recently hired an entry-level admin using Craigslist. I also looked for jobs on Indeed and LinkedIn.
posted by radioamy at 3:08 PM on October 4, 2013

Monster, Careerbuilder, Dice, etc. are all still very relevant, at least for larger companies. HR people tend to take the path of least resistance and managing a Craigslist ad must be near impossible just based on the amount of SPAM I get whenever I try to sell anything on CL.
FWIW the major sites are frequently trolled by headhunters and agencies who will pester people forever if their resume is even a somewhat close match for a given opening, and conversely will pester the listing employer with hopes of filling the position and collecting a nice fee.
posted by Gungho at 5:31 AM on October 5, 2013

My wife, who is an HR generalist here in the Boston area, says CL, Indeed.com and Dice. com are the most useful these days, pretty much in that order.
posted by briank at 9:30 AM on October 5, 2013

« Older Feel bad about going to strip club, Help!   |   Light me up Newer »