Posted from my Mapple MyPad
September 27, 2013 6:11 AM   Subscribe

Looking for examples of fictional analogues of real-world newspapers/magazines - they may be pseudonyms, pastiches, pisstakes, or merely given a slightly similar name to escape lawyerly attention. Think The Devil Wears Prada's Runway (Vogue), or Playdude from The Simpsons. (30 Rock had TGS, but I don't think that was specifically based on SNL.)
posted by mippy to Grab Bag (23 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Running Dog is the fictional version of Rolling Stone, in Don Delillo's novel Running Dog.
posted by jayder at 6:14 AM on September 27, 2013

TvTropes calls this a "Bland Name Product." Many examples on that page (warning: TvTropes.)
posted by gauche at 6:16 AM on September 27, 2013 [1 favorite]

"Let's" potato chips (reviewed by Community's Leonard)
posted by jozxyqk at 6:25 AM on September 27, 2013

This Economist article on GTA5 mentions a number of the faux brands in the game, eg "Lifeinvader" social networking site, etc
posted by colin_l at 6:31 AM on September 27, 2013 [1 favorite]

L'il Abner used to read "Plowboy" magazine.
posted by Multicellular Exothermic at 6:34 AM on September 27, 2013

Response by poster: Ah - I have already been aware of the stealthily punning internet cafe name in the game.
posted by mippy at 6:34 AM on September 27, 2013

I seem to recall Law & Order being fond of "MyBook" and "FaceSpace".
posted by Sternmeyer at 6:35 AM on September 27, 2013

Kabletown (for Comcast on 30 Rock.) Morley cigarettes (for Marboro on X Files)
posted by macadamiaranch at 6:37 AM on September 27, 2013

Friendface, for Facebook and Friendster on the IT Crowd.
posted by Admiral Haddock at 6:40 AM on September 27, 2013 [1 favorite]

The whole run of Dykes to Watch Out For comics is full of these.
posted by clavicle at 6:43 AM on September 27, 2013 [2 favorites]

Homefill on Arrested Development.
posted by k8lin at 6:44 AM on September 27, 2013

Steve Hely's How I Became A Famous Novelist includes a fake NY times best seller list that had me lizzing into my slanket when I first read it.

Steve Hely was a staff writer on 30 Rock, FYI.
posted by mooza at 6:54 AM on September 27, 2013 [5 favorites]

The EyePhone on Futurama.
posted by futureisunwritten at 6:55 AM on September 27, 2013

NASDAQ→BAWSAQ in GTA is especially hilarious if you're Scottish.
(and have the mind of a 12 year old boy.)
posted by scruss at 7:04 AM on September 27, 2013 [4 favorites]

The Pear Company makes most of the electronics that appear in iCarly and the other Schneiderverse shows.
posted by Rock Steady at 7:09 AM on September 27, 2013

I thought this question was about Newspapers and Magazines, not all fictional brands?

One of the most famous ones was Citizen Kane's The New York Inquirer, based on William Randolph Heart's real takeover of the SF Examiner.
posted by Potomac Avenue at 7:27 AM on September 27, 2013 [1 favorite]

The Daily Planet.
posted by Melismata at 7:27 AM on September 27, 2013

In addition to the many fake social networking sites, Law & Order also has a fake newspaper, the New York Ledger. I think a few other shows set in New York use it, too, because there are so many graphic designers and prop masters with issues of the Ledger all ready to go from a Law & Order episode they worked on.

If we're expanding this to all fictional brands, we can't not mention Hudson University, of which I am lucky enough to be a fictional alumnus.
posted by Sara C. at 7:39 AM on September 27, 2013

Potomac Avenue: I thought this question was about Newspapers and Magazines, not all fictional brands?

Oh, duh. Don't know how I missed that.
posted by Rock Steady at 7:59 AM on September 27, 2013

The Recurring Newspaper Prop
posted by blue_beetle at 8:37 AM on September 27, 2013

Oh, duh. Don't know how I missed that.
(Probably because it uses TGS and Mapple MyPad -- neither of which are newspapers or magazines -- as examples in the question. At least that's what got me!)

Daily Granite is the Flintstones' newspaper, which I take as a goof on Daily Planet which is a fictional newspaper to begin with so we might just be through the lookingglass at this point.
posted by macadamiaranch at 8:39 AM on September 27, 2013 [2 favorites]

There are some good ones on the Wikipedia list of fictional magazines and their list of fictional newspapers.
posted by IvoShandor at 8:51 AM on September 27, 2013

« Older Upgrading android regrets   |   Curtain fabric for maximum light, minimum... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.