Closest Apple Picking to NYC?

What are the closest/best U-Pick apple orchards to NYC (Manhattan)?

We'll be driving from Chelsea, and in my dream land, we'd drive for no more than an hour each way. I saw this question, but all the answers are for places 2+ hours away. Family-friendly stuff for our toddler is a plus!
posted by ThePinkSuperhero to Travel & Transportation around New York, NY (9 answers total) 10 users marked this as a favorite

PickYourOwn.org might be helpful.
posted by MonkeyToes at 9:24 AM on September 26, 2013

I just went to Sun High Orchard in Randolph NJ - it took me an hour and ten minutes each way, coming from Brooklyn on a Saturday afternoon. Good apples and a great farm grocery shop. They had a petting zoo and family friendly things like that as well. No dogs though.
posted by zdravo at 9:26 AM on September 26, 2013

I haven't been there myself but I've heard good things about Silverman's Farm in Easton as a travel-from-NY-with-kids activity. It would be about 1h15m each way (depending on how fast you drive.)
posted by DestinationUnknown at 9:36 AM on September 26, 2013

Last year I went to Concklin Farm in Pomona, NY. The apple picking was good and the shop was charming. All the activities were for kids, though - bounce houses and such.

I've been to Silverman's too. The only problem there is how crowded it is - there aren't many farms in Fairfield County, so everyone goes there.

This year, I was thinking to try Harvest Moon in North Salem, NY.

Alstede Farms in NJ is a place I hear a lot about, but check their special events to see if it's toddler friendly.
posted by xo at 9:44 AM on September 26, 2013

Go to Masker's!
posted by Kangaroo at 10:13 AM on September 26, 2013

My brother goes to Gillette, NJ, every fall for his apple picking run. Maybe half an hour from the Holland Tunnel. There are many, many options of different scale if you go farther north and west, to Sussex or Rockland Counties or out toward Chester, NJ and such. But Gillette is probably the closest.
posted by werty at 11:24 AM on September 26, 2013

We've gone to Dr Davies in Congers, NY.

When we went it was quite crowded. But I'd never been apple picking in the metro-NYC area before so I don't know if this is the regional norm.
posted by sciencegeek at 12:23 PM on September 26, 2013

I freaking love New Paltz. It's a bit further than an hour, but god, is it ever gorgeous.

They have a farm that has DIY apple and pumpkin picking, and also brussel sprouts still on the stalk for sale. They also have goats and chickens, for the lil one, and some freaking stunning views of the Gunks and the Catskills for a picnic.

Itty bitty downtown New Paltz has antiquing and cute craft-y shops. Oh! And you can also explore a real, restored Huguenot Village.
posted by functionequalsform at 12:35 PM on September 26, 2013 [1 favorite]

We make an annual trek to Terhune Orchards in Princeton, NJ. There is definitely a lot to do for the younger set: pony rides, corn maze, pumpkin painting. Live music most weekends, and a wine shop (with wine tasting) for the elders. I live in NJ now, but have made it driving from Brooklyn in a little over an hour.
posted by tidecat at 12:20 AM on September 28, 2013

« Older Bent in-ear earbuds?   |   Looking for a particular memetic image Newer »