installing a blog

I need help installing WordPress into my Yahoo! Geocities account... can anybody help me out?
posted by bamassippi to Computers & Internet (9 answers total)

WordPress requires MySQL and PHP.

Yahoo! Geocities doesn't provide these services.
posted by nmiell at 2:12 PM on October 1, 2005

Response by poster: Actually, it does... one of their top packages does have MySQL.
posted by bamassippi at 2:23 PM on October 1, 2005

then what's the problem exactly? any errors or anything?
posted by freudianslipper at 2:56 PM on October 1, 2005

also, if you need additional help you can always post at the wordpress support forum here.
posted by freudianslipper at 3:01 PM on October 1, 2005

Best answer: Yahoo! Web Hosting isn't the same as Yahoo! GeoCities. Assuming that you're using the Standard or Professional versions of Web Hosting, you should be able to install WordPress.

You'll need to create a MySQL database for WordPress's use. See Yahoo's docs for info on how to do that. You'll want to follow the How do I set up my database?, How do I install phpMyAdmin? and How do I create a database? topics. Name the database you create "wordpress".

You'll also need to follow the WordPress 5 Minute Installation guide. When editing wp-config-sample.php, you'll need to change the DB_HOST variable from 'locahost' to 'mysql' and the DB_USER and DB_PASSWORD variables to the username and password you supplied when setting up your database.

With that, should be done with the initial setup.
posted by nmiell at 3:10 PM on October 1, 2005

Don't hold your breath waiting for answers in the WordPress forum. The majority of mine (although more complex than "please help me install") have gone unanswered and the ones that have been answered got answers like "ask someone else or learn to deal with it."
posted by undertone at 3:44 PM on October 1, 2005

ehh..sorry to hear that undertone but all my queries have gone answered and satisfactory. i still recommend it.
posted by freudianslipper at 4:15 PM on October 1, 2005

bamassippi, what problem are you actually having? I've always found the installation process to be extremely straight forward and easy. Have you ever installed WP anywhere else successfully? Do you think the problem is with the hosting, or with something you've done with your install?
posted by The Monkey at 7:10 PM on October 1, 2005

Stumbled upon this through a search. Thanks for the advice, nmiell. It was the host needing to be 'mysql' that tripped me up.
posted by my sock puppet account at 6:57 PM on January 23, 2006

« Older Online legal-ese?   |   sox-yanks playoff conundrum Newer »