Help me hack the computer in my new Camry to kill the nag screen.

I just got a new 2013 Toyota Camry Hybrid. It's by far the best car I've ever owned or even ridden in. The small bug in the soup is the annoying nag screen that pops up on the sound/navigation screen when I start up, reminding me to be careful, obey traffic laws, buckle my seat belt (which I always do) and always look both ways before going into the street. The dealer says the nag is programmed into the computer and can't be turned off, but there's got to be a way. Has anyone done this?
posted by KRS to Computers & Internet (8 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Just a quick caution: be careful your possible hack doesn't invalidate the warranty. Read the small print.
posted by MuffinMan at 1:04 PM on September 17, 2013 [1 favorite]

Try here. They used to sell kits that would disable the same nag screen on the Prius, and it looks like they carry kits that work with Camrys now too.
posted by tkolstee at 1:49 PM on September 17, 2013

You can sometimes hack away the seatbelt notification beeps, door ajar buzzers, and headlights-left-on reminders by, depending on the intent/switch, either shorting closed or making permanently open the switch built into the door of the car.

Beyond that you're talking about messing with the soft/firmware built into the car or sound system or navigation system (or all three).

I bet you find someone who has done it but be aware it may not be without more repercussions than you're willing to shoulder.
posted by RolandOfEld at 1:50 PM on September 17, 2013

Bear in mind that this nag probably goes away automatically after a minute or two, even if you don't acknowledge it, so you have that option.
posted by kindall at 2:24 PM on September 17, 2013

Try another dealer? My Toyota dealer said that he could and would take care of a similar issue with our Prius.
posted by Dr. Wu at 2:29 PM on September 17, 2013

Is there a vid of this? I've hacked these before, but not on Toyota.

On my Honda/Acura vehicles, for navigation, there is a touchscreen acknowledgement after boot required or the display goes dark. However: The screen that comes up beforehand with the "don't do this navigation thing while driving" boilerplate stays there because it is basically the "title screen" prior to the ack button becoming active.

On the Honda/Acura systems, you can change that startup image, and crack/hack the touchscreen button press. It's a generic RISC JNE-style crack. It's all originally loaded off the navigation DVD.

If your Camry doesn't require an acknowledgment press, that nag may just be an image put up while the system boots. Undoubtedly, you could put up a different boot screen, but it won't change the fact that there *is* a boot process and boot screen. You may be able to reduce a delay, if the screen is shown for longer than it takes for the system to come live.

I'm not going to buy a Camry to test =).
posted by graftole at 8:31 PM on September 17, 2013

@graftole - Can I trouble you for some more information about your statement:

What does this mean? Do you have any links that would point me in the right direction?
posted by jeffbarr at 6:17 AM on September 18, 2013

tkolstee - I tried the place you recommended, but their chips go up only through 2009. I asked them about 2013, and they replied "no." Thanks everyone.
posted by KRS at 5:08 AM on September 20, 2013

« Older Identifying a woodsman song   |   I am tired of labeling my microcentrifuge tubes by... Newer »