Linux for Tablet PC.

Anyone know where I can find a version of Linux that supports Tablet PC functions?

I'm looking to make my Toshiba Satellite R15 into a dual-boot system. XP tablet, which comes with it, is nice but doesn't have a lot of the special features I need as a programmer/hacker. I can install *nix anyway, but I don't want to give up the tablet functionality in the process because it comes in handy so often. For that matter, can anyone point to tablet programs for *nix?
posted by mystyk to Computers & Internet (5 answers total)

Lycoris Tablet

Recently bought by Mandriva, only time will reveal what they do with it.
posted by Mwongozi at 3:22 PM on September 30, 2005

Not that it really applies to your situation (since you already have the hardware), but this is interesting.
posted by DeeJayK at 3:27 PM on September 30, 2005

Emperor Linux on a ThinkPad X41.

Hunh -- second time today I'm mentioning them. Anti-disclaimer: I have no relationship with them whatsoever.
posted by Zed_Lopez at 4:11 PM on September 30, 2005

Ok, maybe I should re-emphasize. I'M NOT LOOKING TO BUY A NEW LAPTOP. I just want a *nix version with tablet support that I can install on my existing one.
posted by mystyk at 5:08 PM on September 30, 2005

Sorry. In a word, no, you probably won't find a Linux that would support all the features of your Tablet PC out of the box. Here are accounts of people installing Linux on Toshibas. There aren't any accounts of the Satellite R15 among them. You'll note that the stories are often characterized by a lot of effort, and by never getting everything working.

linux-on-laptops.com
linux.org
tuxmobil.org
wiki.ubuntu.com
posted by Zed_Lopez at 5:23 PM on September 30, 2005

« Older Can FileMaker have hooks into MySQL?   |   Cataloging by font in AAT Newer »