Viriathus doesn't live here anymore

ArtFilter: Please help me find a detailed image or high-res scan of "La muerte de Viriato" by Spanish neoclassical painter José de Madrazo y Agudo.

I've looked everywhere on the internet as well as several local libraries and bookshops, and have only managed to turn up a single—and rather poorly printed—book with the painting. Bibliographical references are welcome, if there's anything I can order online that has a good reproduction of the painting. Or maybe a place where I can buy an inexpensive print or poster that doesn't look like crap when I scan it at 600 dpi. If you can provide a scan yourself, that'd be even better.
posted by Goblindegook to Media & Arts (7 answers total)

It's really hard to find high resolution images of *anything* at 600dpi online. I found a slightly bigger scan here. Have you tried contacting the Museo Nacional Del Prado directly?
posted by atom128 at 2:08 PM on September 30, 2005

I was going to recommend the same thing. According to this site (scroll down about half-way), the museum has an impressive gift shop with posters. Perhaps calling them may help. The gift shop doesn't seem to have an online presence like the museum does, but you can contact the museum. (Ph. (+34) 91 330 28 00.)
posted by icontemplate at 2:14 PM on September 30, 2005

Also, I can't guarantee anything, but theres a good chance it might be in this book here
posted by atom128 at 2:15 PM on September 30, 2005

Actually, rereading that description I take it back. I tried. heh.
posted by atom128 at 2:16 PM on September 30, 2005

Response by poster: It's really hard to find high resolution images of *anything* at 600dpi online.

True. I've pretty much exhausted my options on the internet, hence my request.

Have you tried contacting the Museo Nacional Del Prado directly?

I have, but there's a deadline hanging on this thing, and god knows when I'm going to hear back from them.
posted by Goblindegook at 2:21 PM on September 30, 2005

Hmm. Might take a gamble with the first two books here.

What's it for, out of curiosity. Why this painting?

(Can you tell I'm bored at home today? Yay for lazy friday afternoons.)
posted by atom128 at 2:28 PM on September 30, 2005

Response by poster: What's it for, out of curiosity. Why this painting?

It's for the cover of a book about Viriathus. It was the most appropriate thing I could find.
posted by Goblindegook at 2:36 PM on September 30, 2005

« Older Making Windows Media Videos louder?   |   Good tickets for gigs - who gets them? Newer »