What you gon' do with all that pulp? All that pulp inside your trunk?

What recipes do you have for the leftover pulp from a juicer?

I've been using a juicer a lot lately. I've found out that I can get about 20% more juice if I take the leftover pulp and juice it again. No difference in flavor or consistency, just a bit more juice. The pulp ends up being a bit drier and more compact. I don't care, since I threw it away anyways and got more juice. I am, effectively, throwing away food and I hate that.

Here are things I juice in order of quantity:
carrots
apples
oranges
spinach
celery
pineapples
cucumber

I used to just juice everything together, but since I may actually have a use for it, I can juice the items individually so they don't mix together.
I'm open to other cheap veggies/fruits ideas that produce a good ratio of juice to cost.

Here are things I don't like:
unhealthy Cakes
unhealthy Muffins
unhealthy Cookies
Using the pulp to make butter and sugar laden food just totally kills the purpose of juicing. But if they are damn good, I'll use them.

The primary goal here is healthy recipes. The secondary goal here is bang for the buck or value. The third goal here is not needing a horde of new ingredients to make more food (but I am negotiable on that if its really freaking good).

And yes, I have seen this question here before. I also don't need recipes for dog food, or composting as I live in an apartment.
posted by karathrace to Food & Drink (14 answers total) 8 users marked this as a favorite

I'd say the pulp was a pretty good butter replacer for cakes/cookies. And your cookies needn't be that sweet either
posted by ambrosen at 3:09 PM on September 6, 2013

Savory pancakes - mix w/an egg and some flour, plus garlic/seasonings. Also good in stews & chili. I have seen recipes for baked chips made out of pulp but never tried them.
posted by headnsouth at 3:09 PM on September 6, 2013

Depends on your juicer. I'm in the habit of grating zucchini and summer squash, squeezing some of the juice out of it, and sauteeing it. My sweety got a Norwalk juicer, so I thought "well, let's try that to get the juice out!".

Stuff was like cardboard. All the juice extracted all the flavor. A basic centrifugal juicer might not get all the flavor out, but if you're using a press, you may as well be eating cardboard.
posted by straw at 3:16 PM on September 6, 2013 [1 favorite]

I have a higher end, albeit, a centrifugal juicer.
posted by karathrace at 3:24 PM on September 6, 2013

Mix it into meatloaf or lentil loaf
posted by belladonna at 3:47 PM on September 6, 2013 [1 favorite]

I think you can make veggie stock from the leftovers.
posted by These Birds of a Feather at 4:55 PM on September 6, 2013

Came to suggest making stock out of it too. You can then use it as the basis of all sorts of great soups or meals and stock freezes really well.
posted by wwax at 6:31 PM on September 6, 2013

I knead the pulp into whole wheat dough that I use to make indian style chapatis. Makes delicious filling and healthy dinners.
posted by greta_01 at 6:44 PM on September 6, 2013 [2 favorites]

I do a lot of carrots and beets, and mix the pulp together with stock and caramelized onions to make super-awesome soup.

This past weekend I had yummy cucumber-mint lemonade, I bet you could use cuke pulp to flavor it just as you might use slices.

Pineapple and celery pulp would be good inside a fruity mango-y salsa.
posted by bitter-girl.com at 7:27 PM on September 6, 2013

Although it seems counter-productive, mixing a small amount of the pulp back into the juice gives it a bit of fibre, meaning you don't absorb the carbs so quickly and are less likely to have a sugar crash later (especially if it's a fruit juice). And personally I like the texture of "bits" in my juice.
posted by lollusc at 7:52 PM on September 6, 2013

A friend makes amazing vegan biscuits using the pulp from a juicer. It does also use the juice from the veggies (or water). These biscuits are really, really good, and often turn out pleasantly pink, depending on how many beets you use.
posted by linettasky at 9:53 PM on September 6, 2013

I bet the vegetable pulp would be a great addition to a tomato-based sauce.
posted by fancyoats at 9:26 AM on September 7, 2013

No experience with juicers, but this article suggests you can add water to fruit pulp and make fruit leather out of it. I don't know why one couldn't use vegetable pulp for the same purpose.
posted by lakeroon at 7:11 AM on September 8, 2013

My wife mixes carrot pulp with veganaise and chopped green onion and calls it carrot tuna. It's yummy.
posted by brevator at 7:50 PM on September 8, 2013

« Older Who is the Peruvian guerilla general quoted in...   |   Source for myrtle leaves and berries Newer »