Young adult illustrated novel?

I'm drawing a blank on the title and author of a YA book I perused in a bookstore a few years ago.

It is a young adult novel, and from my memory of the first few pages it is about a overly-intelligent and precious kid (maybe about 10-12?) who writes and organizes everything: maps of his room and his town, lists of all kinds, etc. At the beginning the boy is discussing an upcoming trip to...somewhere. I forget, and that's as far as I read.

The book is heavily--and very charmingly--illustrated and the format is almost a trade paperback, almost a graphic novel, but maybe it would be more accurate to call it an illustrated novel.

Like I said, I can't remember the title or author and I haven't run into that book since. I believe when I saw it, it was a new release, maybe 2 or 3 years ago? Ring any bells for anyone?
posted by zardoz to Media & Arts (2 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Best answer: Sounds a lot like The Selected Works of T.S. Spivet (2009), which is in the process of being movieised! Trailers!
posted by Quilford at 11:00 PM on September 4, 2013

Response by poster: That's the one. Quilford, and Metafilter, you are fast.
posted by zardoz at 11:05 PM on September 4, 2013

« Older Grow a quinine tree in California?   |   What is biting our kid? Newer »