52 weeks in a year, 52 cards in a deck... ....
August 29, 2013 7:59 AM   Subscribe

It's a slow news day around the office, and someone mentioned that there are 52 weeks in a year, and also 52 cards in a deck of cards.

13 cards in each suit ((Hearts, Diamonds, Clubs, Spades)), and also 13 weeks in a season ((Spring Summer, Fall, Winter)).

It made me wonder, is there any card game that deliberately uses this fact?

=== ===

MAHJONGG tiles have 13 of each kind and somehow use the seasons, but not as an important factor in gameplay.

Are there any games that use seven decks of cards ((one deck for Sunday, one for Monday, one for Tuesday ... ....)) in such a way that the cards, plus four Jokers, to somehow represent every day of the year?
posted by shipbreaker to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (5 answers total) 10 users marked this as a favorite

Not exactly western playing cards, but japanese Hanafuda cards have suits that directly represent months, and those cards are derived from Hombre. See also: Koi-Koi
posted by yeoz at 8:19 AM on August 29, 2013 [1 favorite]

Well, a Hanafuda deck has 12 suits, one for each month.
posted by Mizu at 8:20 AM on August 29, 2013

Are there any games that use seven decks of cards ... plus four Jokers

You'd only need one Joker, or two for a leap year.

posted by DevilsAdvocate at 9:13 AM on August 29, 2013

Correspondence blackjack.
posted by flabdablet at 9:21 AM on August 29, 2013 [2 favorites]

The 52 cards in a deck and 52 weeks in a year concept plays a part in Jostein Gaarder's The Solitaire Mystery (wiki article). Most of the characters are known as playing cards (The Ace (Queen?) of Hearts plays an important role). I haven't read that book in forever, but I seem to remember that there's a game that also acts as a calendar (? seriously, not since the 90s)
posted by yggdrasil at 9:33 AM on August 30, 2013

« Older What I should have said was . . .   |   As you can see, Lola has taken up unicycling. Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.