More WiFi Woes

Another for WIFIfilter: I just inherited a G4 powerbook from a friend. I updated the AirSoft software and can successfully connect to every wireless network I try--except the one in my apartment.

We have a WEP-secured wireless network with 6 PCs connected to it. My powerbook recognizes that the network is there, but when prompted for a password, it rejects it as incorrect. I've tried every variation to no avail. The WEP key doesn't work either. Any ideas?
posted by JMB1138 to Computers & Internet (5 answers total)

it used to be on OS9 that if you wanted to type in the hex key, you would precede the key with "$" as in $5030100221 or whatever. i dont know if OSX has the same convention. okay, i just tried it and it appears to take they key when you put $ in front.
posted by joeblough at 10:00 AM on September 29, 2005

Yep. On OS-X, hexadecimal passwords must be preceeded by a $
posted by Popular Ethics at 12:37 PM on September 29, 2005

Hmmm. I connect to hex-password protected wireless networks at work without the preceeding $.
posted by weston at 2:50 PM on September 29, 2005

The latest version of Airport software (4.1?) corrected this, I believe.

Still, interplatform Wifi networks with WEP have been a pain for me in the past.
posted by rfordh at 6:35 PM on September 29, 2005

Have you checked that you're not using MAC filtering on WAP?
posted by The Monkey at 11:44 PM on September 30, 2005

« Older Computer game performance degradation   |   Does my laptop hate my table? Newer »