Help me grow!

Questions about working out and protein intake..

Ok, when I work out (weights), I try to take in extra protein (both via food and shakes/supplements) the day of and the day after the workout. I was wondering if that is sufficient, or if I should just be taking in extra protein constantly -- the day before, of, after, and several days after.. I work out 2-3 times a week, so this would mean all week.

Basically, I'm asking what the 'shelf-life' of protein in your body is, and for how many days after exercise do your muscles benefit from having extra protein in your system?

Also, what is the minimum number of grams of protein I would need daily to build muscle, assuming I weigh ~180 lbs. and wanted to add some muscle/weight?

Thank you for any responses!
posted by eas98 to Health & Fitness (9 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Eating a big dose of protein immediately after a workout aids in recovery.
posted by caddis at 9:21 AM on September 29, 2005

Your body can only absorb so much protein in one sitting--I think its the amount in half a can of tuna (a good, cheap source, btw).

I don't have hard figures on grams protein per kilos of body weight or anything like that. I do know that one friend who was trying to bulk up was told to drink the whites of 6 eggs every day. Another friend who was a near-vegetarian could not bulk up and was constantly exhausted until she switched to a diet rich in pork sausage.
posted by adamrice at 10:45 AM on September 29, 2005

Best answer: 1. 1.25 grams of protein per pound of body weight per day MINIMUM.
2. I haven't found a legitimate study on upper limit single meal absorption, but it's more than 40 grams of whey, and way more than one mere can of tuna.
3. Source of protein is a very big deal. Basically, some protein is easier for the body to absorb.

Here's a good cheap source of protein. I'm having some now.

Avoid tuna because there's the mercury problem, and avoid soy because most forms are hard to digest as well as being linked to reduced free testosterone.
posted by ewkpates at 11:49 AM on September 29, 2005

I'm not a nutritionist, but an avid athlete so take my advice as you will. I also train at least 2-3 times a week, so my body is constantly in recovery mode. My goal is to keep at least a little bit of protein in digestive pipeline at all times. A serving with each meal, and a couple of snacks throughout the day. I try to get about 15% of my calories from protein, about 1.5 to 2 grams per kg of body weight . You don't want to overconsume protein though. Too much protein makes it easier for you to get dehydrated and is hard on the kidneys.
posted by Manjusri at 12:09 PM on September 29, 2005

Yes, protein immediately after workout, and otherwise every 2 hours.

Hard to do for the first couple of days... after a week you'll scorn the three-meal-a-dayers.
posted by ewkpates at 12:52 PM on September 29, 2005

Response by poster: Thanks for the links.. One question, ewkpates.. Your link to a "good cheap source of protein" comes up with nothing in particular.

What was it?
posted by eas98 at 1:28 PM on September 29, 2005

An alternative is to calculate protein requirements based on lean body mass & lifestyle.
posted by SoulOnIce at 2:43 PM on September 29, 2005

I think ewkpates was referring to Low-carb Grow.
posted by tyamada at 7:20 PM on September 29, 2005

Yeah, or regular carb grow... both easily the best protein drinks I've found in the last 5 years.

Also, if you can do it, take a protein shake to bed with you and/or consume IMMEDIATELY upon waking.
posted by ewkpates at 7:46 AM on September 30, 2005

« Older Is locking the lug nuts on your tires a deterrent...   |   Agua Non Potable Newer »