Help the frustated gamblin' man get his small money fix.

What would be the most accessible and cost effective way for a U.S. resident to get a small value daily gambling fix? I enjoyed the daily stock market positions on Intrade (RIP), for instance. Day trading? Other gambling sites? Betting sidewalk strangers on coin flips?

There is something I really enjoy about placing small wagers on a regular basis. I'm not a lottery player, or a casino gambler, but I just get a kick out of, for instance, having 10 bucks each day riding on the movement of the stock market. Gives a certain extra zest to the day's news. Intrade was great for that stuff, now sadly it is gone for the foreseeable future. I don't really care all that much if I make significant gains over the long term. I've got a day job, and I don't plan to sink more than a few hundred dollars into a bankroll for this little habit. That said, I'd prefer to not have my whole bankroll get chewed up by transaction fees. What would folks recommend to get a minor thrill of small and regular bets?

Can I day trade on on some exchange for a reasonable monthly fee? How much would be a minimum deposit to make that feasible? Are there other betting sites where I could easily place small wagers? Sports betting? Ease of getting money out could be important, I dislike going through random and shady online payment processors. Thanks all!
posted by bepe to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (9 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Best answer: Daily fantasy sports would give you your fix. But to do it right, you need to spend some time on it doing research. check out sites like fanduel.
posted by teg4rvn at 3:17 PM on August 16, 2013

Would scratch-off lottery tickets be enough of a thrill?
posted by JannaK at 3:32 PM on August 16, 2013

Scratch tickets.
posted by Chocolate Pickle at 3:33 PM on August 16, 2013

Response by poster: Well I am not really into random lottery tickets. I want to bet against humans in some way--either small stock market bets or actual straight up wagers. And it's got to be real money. But thanks for the answers!
posted by bepe at 4:20 PM on August 16, 2013

Satoshi Dice?
posted by oceanjesse at 5:56 PM on August 16, 2013

Couponing? As in, see if you can get CVS to owe you money at the end? I guess that's more of a skill game than a bet.

Ebay sniping?
posted by blnkfrnk at 6:44 PM on August 16, 2013

I'll second Satoshi Dice. You get the additional thrill of BitCoin speculation with that one.
posted by Gin and Comics at 8:49 PM on August 16, 2013

Best answer: Day trading does do it. Within a year you'll be able to play poker legally online as well.
posted by Potomac Avenue at 5:05 AM on August 17, 2013

I'm way late to this, but I like flipping a coin with coworkers for lunch or sodas from the machine.

Coworkers who enjoy that might be susceptible to a few rounds of put-and-take at lunch, which you can play with an ordinary die (1= put 1, 2 = take 1, 3= put 2, 4=take 2, 5= put all, 6= take all - you can write it on w/a sharpie if you want) if you don't have the little dreidel thingamabob.
posted by codswallop at 11:49 PM on August 21, 2013

« Older Blondes have more fun?   |   Intensive programming "bootcamp" in California? Newer »