Flagellation question

A person is to be punished by hundreds of lashes in Saudi Arabia. How, specifically, is the punishment carried out?

My question was sparked by the recent sentencing of a man in Saudi Arabia to 7 years in prison and 600 lashes (link).

I find the number of lashes to be astoundingly high. I have read that often the lashes will be divided into several days, with periods of rest interspersed to allow time to heal. But even so, I find the amount to be difficult to comprehend.

I would like to know how often a portion of the sentence is commuted. Or, if this isn't the case, how, specifically, is the sentence executed in practice? How many years would it take to complete? What normally happens to the prisoner during this period of time?
posted by prunes to Religion & Philosophy (4 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

My understanding is that lashing sentences like that are usually significantly reduced. Fifty lashes can kill a person; 600, even over a few days, is a death sentence, as far as I know.
posted by Dasein at 6:26 PM on July 30, 2013

Best answer: Slate covered this.
posted by Unified Theory at 6:47 PM on July 30, 2013 [2 favorites]

I used to live in Malaysia, and they had something similar. Although, the phrase used in Malaysia is caning (wikipedia article). The procedure is probably the same, or same-ish.
posted by Xere at 10:52 PM on July 30, 2013

It would matter a lot exactly what instrument was used.
Does anyone know the specs of a Saudi lash?
posted by fivesavagepalms at 9:39 AM on July 31, 2013

« Older What is the job market like for technical writers...   |   Seeking info about terraforming/modded humans for... Newer »