Factory reset to donate Blackberry

Trying to reset my Blackberry to donate it to a domestic violence shelter or service members.

So, I have a Blackberry I want to donate and I followed the directions to do a security reset, but when it reboots my phone number still shows up on the welcome screen. Not like you could call anyone, but I was looking for a true factory reset.

This should be easy but I can't even work a copier, so, help?
posted by Pax to Computers & Internet (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

That's strange... Did you take the SIM card out?
posted by KokuRyu at 8:58 PM on July 25, 2013

Forgive me, seriously, but I took it out and put it back in- am I supposed to take it out and leave it out? What will they use then (I use an iPhone now)?
posted by Pax at 9:26 PM on July 25, 2013

Meaning I wouldn't need to transfer a SIM card.
posted by Pax at 9:27 PM on July 25, 2013

I had always thought that the SIM card stored your "mobile subscriber identity", such as your phone number, and, unlike texts and address book contacts, that phone number can't be erased from the SIM card. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Wouldn't the shelter receive a new SIM card from their cellphone provider when they signed up for a plan?
posted by KokuRyu at 9:41 PM on July 25, 2013

Yeah, take out the SIM card. I reset Blackberrys all the time at my job and the number will show up, because you're only wiping the accounts on the device, not the subscriber info with your carrier.

The shelters/services will re-provision the Blackberry with a new SIM.
posted by planetesimal at 10:13 PM on July 25, 2013

Take the SIM out and leave it out. When they set up the phone, they'll get a new SIM, no big deal. The SIMs are basically locked to the user, not to the phone, and you get a new one when you set up a new plan.
posted by MeghanC at 10:14 PM on July 25, 2013 [1 favorite]

Nthing that you need to remove the SIM. The shelter will need to put a new one in anyway.
posted by Aizkolari at 6:15 AM on July 26, 2013

« Older West LA infant care   |   Need awesome gift ideas for a girlfriend who is... Newer »