Music like The Social Network soundtrack

Introduce me to music similar to the soundtrack for the movie The Social Network.

I'm a big fan of the soundtrack to The Social Network, some of the tracks get me into a work groove and some into a weirdly pleasant melancholy. What else can you recommend that's similar?
posted by sherlockt to Media & Arts (13 answers total) 18 users marked this as a favorite

Ghosts I-IV
posted by Cuspidx at 8:30 PM on July 25, 2013

Anything by Trent Reznor, obviously. Clint Mansell does similarly anxiety-producing soundtrack work.
posted by empath at 8:45 PM on July 25, 2013

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross also did the soundtrack for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
posted by Lucinda at 9:07 PM on July 25, 2013

There's a lot of Kraftwerk influence there. Especially Radioactivity and (appropriately enough) Computer World. (Reznor even lifts the riff from "Computer Love," which you may recognize from that Coldplay song that did the same.)

The quiet bits remind me most of Brian Eno's ambient stuff, especially his collaborations with Harold Budd.
posted by Sys Rq at 9:46 PM on July 25, 2013

I instantly knew what you were talking about when I read this question, that soundtrack had the same effect on me. Only other soundtrack like it was from the remake of Sunshine, but it's not quite as good. Off the top of my head:

The Album Leaf, particularly the album One Day I'll Be On Time

The Flashbulb - Soundtrack to a Vacant Life

I think The Doves fit into this, but their occasional vocals may be a dealkiller.

Mogwai is a bit heavier, but see if you like it on youtube

The soundtrack from the computer game Diablo II was pretty stellar atmospheric music as well.

Hammock also definitely fills this niche for me, I have a whole folder of mp3s with this shoegazy type instrumental music somewhere around here... If nothing else, check out hammock.
posted by hobo gitano de queretaro at 10:17 PM on July 25, 2013

Melancholy with similar emptiness + harsh melodies:

Thom Yorke - The Eraser (song and album)

The Beta Band - B+A
posted by clearly at 10:26 PM on July 25, 2013

I've been listening to a lot of Blue Hawaii recently.
posted by KokuRyu at 11:20 PM on July 25, 2013 [1 favorite]

Trentemoller.
Dead Voices on Air.
Monolake.
Delerium, the early stuff.
Coil, some of their stuff, including Time Machines, Coil vs. Elph, and Black Light District.
posted by Sticherbeast at 2:19 AM on July 26, 2013

The Orb's Orbus Terrarum.
Emancipator.
John Murphy's scores to 28 Weeks Later and Sunshine.
Cliff Martinez's scores to Drive and Solaris.
Brian Tyler's scores to The Killing Room and Brake.
DJ Shadow's Endtroducing.
posted by Sticherbeast at 2:27 AM on July 26, 2013 [1 favorite]

Mass Effect 3 soundtrack.
posted by eralclare at 6:21 AM on July 26, 2013

Luke Abbott - my favourite track of his, and actually the most similar I think to that soundtrack, is Brazil, and I love it as working music. I also have a whole playlist of this kind of stuff on Spotify!
posted by greenish at 7:20 AM on July 26, 2013

Response by poster: I've checked out a few of these and they seem to be just what I'm looking for - thanks for the recommendations.
posted by sherlockt at 1:44 PM on July 26, 2013

« Older Project Management Suggestions   |   West LA infant care Newer »