Help me remember a SciFi story

I am trying to remember an old science fiction novel. I swear I heard of it on Metafilter, but my search skills fail me. It was weird, maybe a classic, maybe an embarrassment. Setting - far, far future. Earth winding down. No space flight. Remnants of humanity live in a chasm, rest of the planet is uninhabitable. The whole thing was online (on a geocities-level website), either public domain or never actually published. Author may be unknown.
posted by SkinnerSan to Writing & Language (8 answers total) 8 users marked this as a favorite

Feersum Enjinn by Iain M. Banks is the closest thing that comes to mind, though it seems unlikely to be the thing you read online. There are a lot of sci-fi stories with this basic plot; a more recent one is The City of Ember.
posted by mbrubeck at 2:56 PM on July 25, 2013

That "City of Ember" link also mentions The City Under Ground by Suzanne Martel which also shows up in this Ask MetaFilter thread.
posted by mbrubeck at 2:58 PM on July 25, 2013

....I dimly remember something like this on The SCP website - is that it?
posted by EmpressCallipygos at 3:12 PM on July 25, 2013

The City and the Stars by Arthur C Clarke?
posted by MighstAllCruckingFighty at 3:37 PM on July 25, 2013

Nobody living in a chasm in The City And The Stars. I'm reminded of a minor Known Space planet called Canyon, where The Ringworld Engineers begins.
posted by Rash at 4:10 PM on July 25, 2013

Best answer: I know this! It's William Hope Hodgson's The Night Land, available in a handsome new trade paperback from HiLoBooks, or you can just read it in serial on their website at the link above.
posted by escabeche at 4:35 PM on July 25, 2013 [3 favorites]

Also sounds like NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind, but that is also not online.
posted by jiawen at 2:49 AM on July 26, 2013

Response by poster: Escabeche, you are the proud new owner of 10 shiny internets! I am reading it now to be sure, but I am about 99% sure it is The Night Land. Thanks Everyone for helping! mbrubeck, I don't think I have ever heard of that Banks book - more homework.
posted by SkinnerSan at 8:33 AM on July 26, 2013

« Older New kitten   |   Is there a program out there that can sort my... Newer »