What would be the best gift for a tank enthusiast, somewhere in the UK?

I want to get a special gift for a friend of mine who is mad about tanks. There are various places in the UK you can have a tank driving experience but I don't know how to choose between them. What is cool about driving a tank, or tanks in general? What would an enthusiast most like to experience? Personally I'd like to pile across a field of battle blowing the shit out of enemy equipment - but I assume that's not available as a civilian experience.
posted by fernbritton to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (3 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Your friend probably already knows about the Bovington Tank Museum, but I'll mention it just in case.
posted by Multicellular Exothermic at 4:53 PM on July 20, 2013 [2 favorites]

If they can appreciate anime, maybe a starting gift ofgirls und panzer on DVD as a way to build up to the real thing? (It's about tank school as a sport for high school girls)
posted by Annika Cicada at 9:58 PM on July 20, 2013

Bovington is pretty welcoming towards people who are nuts about tanks. They have an extensive library and several experts if your friend has a research type interest. I used to work there as a student and did some tour guiding for a while. No harm in giving their collections team a call if you want something a bit different - they might offer something bespoke if your friend is serious.

Driving a tank is fun. I have driven a tank. If they exist, I'd look for an experience that gives you time in more than one tank. I.e. a large battle tank and something smaller and faster like a reconnaissance tank. But it's fun whatever you do. You don't tend to blow stuff up.
posted by MuffinMan at 9:43 AM on July 21, 2013 [1 favorite]

« Older Best printable crossword puzzles?   |   Wedding gifts worth taking overseas? Newer »