What's this movie about a mall and debt?

Inspired by a comment on the blue, I can't stop thinking about this. I seem to remember a movie where people who got into debt were forced to work at the mall (maybe the mall was a corporation?) until they paid it off. Help me not go insane...

I also seem to remember that it was basically impossible. As in, you also lived in the mall so they charged you for that, and you spent your money at the mall. Does this sound familiar to anyone? It was probably a 90's movie, but I can't be certain.

I hate when my brain does this to me. Since I read that comment it's all I can think of. Thanks The Whelk.
posted by one4themoment to Media & Arts (3 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Could you be thinking of the Sliders episode "Season's Greetings"? It's about people who live in a giant mall, work up huge debts, and then become prisoners trying to pay of the debt.
posted by Rob Rockets at 7:41 PM on July 16, 2013 [3 favorites]

You are ABSOLUTELY right! I'm going to go watch that episode now. I owe you a drink of your choice if you're ever in the area.
posted by one4themoment at 8:02 PM on July 16, 2013

That's an excellent episode. If you're interested in a modern take, check out Black Mirror Series 1, Episode 2 "15 Million Merits".
posted by heliostatic at 9:02 PM on July 16, 2013 [1 favorite]

« Older What's in a name? Name an integrated human...   |   How to handle a negative review on Yelp? Newer »