The mysteries of my hotel room

Where is the thermostat in my Doubletree hotel room?

I do know to look on the walls, but I've looked everywhere.

I don't want to call them because then I'll have to wait for them to come up here, and I don't feel like interacting with anyone.

The unit says this: "Unit is controlled by remote thermostat on wall."

I am familiar with walls, and thermostats, and have looked on them. I do not see it.

Halp please.
posted by A Terrible Llama to Home & Garden (14 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

Is there a unit by the window? Sometimes, you open up the top and the thermostat/controller is in there.
posted by xingcat at 6:59 PM on June 26, 2013

Occasionally I've found the thermostat hidden on the wall behind a pulled-back window curtain.
posted by deadmessenger at 6:59 PM on June 26, 2013 [1 favorite]

my last doubletree stay it was a plain grey box just outside the bathroom, with two buttons and a little screen. I've also sometimes found them in closets. Obvious and weird respectively, yes. GL :)
posted by Jacen at 7:01 PM on June 26, 2013

Not behind window curtain, not on the unit by the window (it's the unit that directs you to the 'remote thermostat'.) Not in the closet.

(Finding the hair dryer was also a surprising saga but I'll spare you that.)
posted by A Terrible Llama at 7:03 PM on June 26, 2013

Oh, my God--it is in the unit itself as Zingcat says, underneath the panel that says very clearly: "Unit is controlled by remote thermostat on wall".

It's almost like...they didn't want me to find it.

Nice try, Doubletree.

Thanks all.
posted by A Terrible Llama at 7:06 PM on June 26, 2013 [9 favorites]

They should be able to tell you where it is without sending anyone up. You can always lie and say you found it if they offer to.
posted by bleep at 7:07 PM on June 26, 2013

Woo-hoo! I'm a hotel temperature ninja!
posted by xingcat at 7:09 PM on June 26, 2013 [6 favorites]

I called last night (this is why I didn't want to call them again) and said they told me they'd send someone up but then I was like, do I really want to sit here and wait for Doug to come up and show me this? So essentially -- they couldn't tell me where it was and I declined the in-room visit (it was after midnight). They might genuinely not have known and it might just be a functional error, like 'we slap those signs on all the units' but it kind of seems like it would also be a nice way to discourage guests from altering the temperature in their rooms by banking on the emotional exhaustion of business travelers. And it worked last night, because I was exhausted. But not tonight, because Metafilter.

Thanks very much Xingcat and all. Sleeping without white noise in a too-hot room was not super appealing.
posted by A Terrible Llama at 7:15 PM on June 26, 2013 [1 favorite]

My guess is that the cover broke on that unit and was replaced with one from another unit that really was remotely controlled.

"Hmm.. I could peel that label off, but then I wouldn't be able to use that cover on the next busted one, and I'd have to scrape off all the glue. The last one looked terrible. Screw it, they'll figure it out."

Nice work, xingcat.
posted by Kakkerlak at 7:29 PM on June 26, 2013

If you are feeling the love in the morning, leave a note for the next tenant that explains where it is. Tape it next to the sign that says remote controlled wall unit.
posted by JohnnyGunn at 7:58 PM on June 26, 2013 [3 favorites]

Gotta love MeFi.
posted by skaye at 1:26 AM on June 27, 2013

I love JohnnyGunn's idea, but the cleaning staff will just remove it.
posted by trip and a half at 2:07 AM on June 27, 2013

This is decidedly not cool (sorry) as a service for which you're paying. I would absolutely speak with a manager at the front desk and explain the issue and ask what they'll do to make it right by you. Free breakfast, free night?
posted by kinetic at 6:07 AM on June 27, 2013

Ideally, they'd comp me my Metafilter question!
posted by A Terrible Llama at 2:16 PM on June 27, 2013 [1 favorite]

« Older SSD:OSX:SUV::   |   I've seen her type before: scandalous Brooklyn... Newer »