What Manga Should I Read Next?

I have read Monster, 20th Century Boys, and Pluto, and plan to read the rest of Urasawa's oevre. What other long-form manga series (preferably concluded) should I read now? I have also previously enjoyed Beck, Akira, Drops of the Gods and Death Note (mostly).

I have a tablet, so works available commercially or as scanslations are equally welcomed. I'm looking for good twisty plots that resolve in some way. Some humour is great, but not really interested in silly stuff. I guess seinen is the genre I enjoy most? Thanks!
posted by joelhunt to Media & Arts (11 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

I've just finished a reread of the volumes of Blade of the Immortal that I have available. It is finished in Japan, although Dark Horse hasn't finished putting out the graphic novels in the US yet, so if you like it and catch up to what's available in English, you should be able to find scanlations online for the rest. It's the first manga I fell in love with, back in 2000, and still good today.

Dark Horse started putting it out in the late 90s, when right-to-left publishing just wasn't done, and the mangaka preferred that they cut the panels and rearrange them instead of just flipping as was the standard at the time, with the occasional panel flipped when it needed to be. I find that it makes for very little confusion when reading, except that occasionally you'll find a character on the left side of another for one panel, and then back on the right. And I don't really notice that except when I'm looking for it.
posted by telophase at 11:59 AM on June 20, 2013

Lone Wolf and Cub.
posted by infinitywaltz at 12:06 PM on June 20, 2013 [4 favorites]

If you haven't read Fullmetal Alchemist yet, I think you might enjoy it. The whole series (finished) has been translated to English by Viz.
posted by harujion at 1:07 PM on June 20, 2013

Kiseiju (English title: Parasyte) by Hitoshi Iwaaki is one of the best works of manga I've read in the seinen genre, though relatively minor. It's 10 volumes long, highly original, and hardly has any lull in plot.

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind is the original manga for the famous Ghibli film of the same name - but it's waaaaaay deeper than the film, which only covers events in the first book out of seven (though it's still very good!). This is Hayao Miyazaki's lifework that he has apparently put his everything into.

May be obvious, but Full Metal Alchemist - this is more shonen than seinen so would contain some obligatory unrealistic/battlescene elements, but is still excellent.

(Note: I read manga in Japanese so I'm not sure if these are easily available to you; however, I did limit it to manga that have at least been translated at some point.)
posted by pikeandshield at 1:10 PM on June 20, 2013

Eagle: the Making of an Asian-American President?

Nice twisty plot, very readable. Obviously an interest in politics helps.

Also, my guilty secret is Nana, but that probably doesn't fit the bill. Also it unfortunately looks like it might not conclude.
posted by Hartster at 1:23 PM on June 20, 2013

More that I've thought of, which may be beyond your normal zone of 'seinen', but are some of my favourite mangas:

If you're interested in the more 'classics' genre of manga, I'd recommend Phoenix (Japanese: Hinotori) by Osamu Tezuka, THE pioneer of manga. He has a unique style quite typical of manga at the time (including silly gags and humour), and this reads as a collection of shorter (1-2 volume) stories rather than a continuous arc. But for me no manga really tops this in depth in terms of how it tackles themes of eternity, the fragility of life etc.

Basara and Banana Fish are two shojo mangas but cannot be further from the general stereotypes (e.g. little plot, focus on unrealistic puppy love etc) and feels more like a seinen manga. Basara is set in a futuristic yet still faintly Japanese fantasy world, while Banana Fish is more of a gang story set in the 1970s USA.

Hikaru no Go is a shonen manga and illustrated by the same person as Death Note. Despite being a shonen manga this avoids some of the most popular pitfalls of its genre (e.g. unrealistically strong protagonists/rival inflation). Part 1 is much better than Part 2 IMO.

JIN is excellent and is a fantastic (and actually quite accurate) insight into one of the most fascinating eras of Japan, just before the Meiji Restoration. There doesn't seem to be an official English version out, but you could try and look for a scanlation.

I could probably go on forever, but I guess I'll stop here for now. ;) Happy reading!
posted by pikeandshield at 1:29 PM on June 20, 2013 [2 favorites]

Planetes. The anime adaptation is good too.
posted by Kosh at 1:51 PM on June 20, 2013 [2 favorites]

Yokohama Shopping Trip - a seinen manga with wonderful art and storytelling. It's calm and atmospheric and just so good.
posted by Caconym at 1:52 PM on June 20, 2013 [1 favorite]

Thirding Full Metal Alchemist.
posted by C'est la D.C. at 2:03 PM on June 20, 2013

Complete (and pretty short):

Onani Master Kurosawa
Molester Man (Good manga; if you've read Jojo's Bizarre Adventure then it becomes great)
Legend of the Strongest Man Kurosawa

Ongoing:

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (though not serious, like, at all)
Oyasumi PunPun
Vinland Saga
Vagabond
I am a Hero

If you're into Manly Tears and strongly established settings, just read Lone Wolf and Cub repeatedly. If you like physical possessions, Dark Horse is releasing Omnibus editions of LWaC. You can find the first volume out on Amazon already.
posted by Qberting at 7:00 PM on June 20, 2013

I don't know a whole lot about manga but Osamu Tezuka's Buddha is one of the best things I've ever read.
posted by Chenko at 9:57 AM on June 21, 2013

« Older Seeking a Wedding Venue Near Boca Raton, Florida   |   Router needed but... Newer »