Finding an over-the-phone "tutor" for ASP.NET

Does anyone have any suggestions about finding an over-the-phone "tutor" for ASP.NET -- someone whom I can bug throughout the day with simple 5 minute questions e.g. "what's the best way to update multiple tables on insert from an ASPxGridView?".

I've taken on an ASP.NET project that's a little bit out of my league. Whereas the project itself is rather simple, I'm finding that ramping myself up is taking too long due to small little "5 minute" problems that take me hours to solve simply as I'm still a noob.

I'm investigating https://clarity.fm. At the moment this looks like the front-runner and will try to schedule a call tomorrow to see if they fit my needs.

Another option would be to find someone through https://www.taskrabbit.com/, but I don't think they're set up quite right for me: they're all about discrete tasks -- I estimate that I'd need to ask about 5-10 questions a day with the average call time to be about 5 minutes.

My background is in Java and iOS development. I have about 4 weeks experience in ASP.NET development.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear!
posted by tomargue to Computers & Internet (8 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Are you familiar with stackoverflow.com ?
posted by bottlebrushtree at 12:39 AM on June 6, 2013 [1 favorite]

Yup. Stackoverflow rocks :)

Tho there's a bunch of things that over the phone offers that text / Stackoverflow doesn't, e.g. Synchronous answers, subjective impressions, screen sharing etc
posted by tomargue at 1:02 AM on June 6, 2013

keen.com is a website that introduces you to x dollars per minute people over the phone. I think a lot of it is sex and psychics, but there are a great deal of techie type people on there as well. Just doing a quick search there are many people that claim to know about ASP.NET.
posted by ill3 at 1:52 AM on June 6, 2013

Have you tried just reaching out to your friends on facebook or g+, etc? That's what I usually do when I need help working on a programming project. Also, one of the most useful things I ever did in my tech career was join an email list of friends and friends of friends that work at various tech companies. If you don't have a network like that, now would be a good time to think about starting one. You can also search on linked in through your contacts to see if someone can help you out.
posted by empath at 4:39 AM on June 6, 2013

You could post this to jobs. And you can find active forums where you can post questions. I think the interruption of questions during the day would be difficult for many people; can you save up your questions for a daily phone call? If you can find a class, online or local, that would improve your skills and give you access to classmates, tutor, faculty.
posted by theora55 at 7:58 AM on June 6, 2013

These may be the sorts of questions that many developers use IRC for.
posted by jingzuo at 9:19 AM on June 6, 2013

All great suggestions.

That's an interesting @jingzuo...I didn't realize that there were IT developer forums on IRC (and here's where I'm feeling incredibly naive -- perhaps IRC was originally intended as a developer forum!)
posted by tomargue at 8:42 PM on June 6, 2013

Ah, quick update!

Just had my first phone call with Clarity.fm expert. Is *exactly* what I want.

(NB: I don't work for Clarity! :P)
posted by tomargue at 9:32 PM on June 6, 2013

« Older Pro-tips for public displays of affection   |   Shoes like Chucks, but with better arch support? Newer »