Can I install an XBox 360 Arcade Demo from a disc to my hard drive?

The Xbox 360 Arcade game Alan Wake's American Nightmare just went on sale, so I purchased it. I have very limited bandwidth on my Internet plan, though. I do have a demo of the game that came with an Official XBox 360 Magazine coverdisc. Usually, when I have a demo of a game all I need to do to unlock the full game is pay for it, without any additional download. There doesn't seem to be any way to install the demo from the disc to my Xbox's hard drive, though. I do have enough space. Is there any way I can install the game demo from the disc to the harddrive? I haven't modded my Xbox in any way.
posted by Charlemagne In Sweatpants to Technology (5 answers total)

Have you tried launching the demo and seeing if there's an "Unlock Full Game" option on the title screen? It won't solve the problem of having to put in the disc every time, but it might get around your bandwidth limit (assuming the demo on the disc is the same as the one on the Marketplace, IE: the full game, just with a paywall).
posted by EmGeeJay at 1:03 AM on May 26, 2013

Response by poster: I did that, and it started the full 1.3 GB download.
posted by Charlemagne In Sweatpants at 1:07 AM on May 26, 2013

Speaking as a game developer, I would highly doubt that the demo disc has a full build of the game hidden on it. It's most likely a smaller demo build. I could be wrong though.
posted by gnutron at 7:53 AM on May 26, 2013 [1 favorite]

Response by poster: Speaking as a game developer, I would highly doubt that the demo disc has a full build of the game hidden on it. It's most likely a smaller demo build. I could be wrong though.

I know it seems counter-intuitive, but for XBox Live Arcade games usually the demo is the full game, and buying it just unlocks the rest of it.
posted by Charlemagne In Sweatpants at 4:58 PM on May 26, 2013

Yeah, this seems very much to me like the demo is just a fragment of the full game. We're talking a fairly large release here, not some little shareware number. How many other demos are on that disc? How do you think they'd fit a 1.3GB game for each demo onto that disc?

Can't load from the disc what's not on the disc. Just suck it up and download it.
posted by Jilder at 1:19 AM on May 27, 2013 [1 favorite]

« Older Control a web browser using a USB controller (Korg...   |   How to find an accessible apartment in Oakland? Newer »