JAVA now OK?

I watch a lot of embedded videos that require JAVA.

Under Firefox 20.1, the videos never start. They work fine under IE, where I've left JAVA on, since it's hidden, I'm the only one who uses it and I know what to avoid. But I don't want to leave FF vulnerable and let the rug rats run the computer into trouble.

I deactivated JAVA under FF because of warnings that there were holes that were the subject of actual exploits. Have these now been fixed? Or should I just give up on JAVA?
posted by KRS to Computers & Internet (8 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

So, to be clear, it's the Java plugin that you've disabled, not Javascript (which is a completely different thing)?

Sorry if that's a stupid question, but a lot of people get the two mixed up.
posted by pipeski at 8:23 AM on May 14, 2013 [3 favorites]

Java is still a mess, and there are still vulns being identified left and right. We haven't gone a month yet without a new java vuln -- a polish firm found some more issues at the end of April. I'd recommend keeping the kids away from it, or, if there are limited sites you need Java on, editing the Java config files to whitelist those domains and not run code from anywhere else.
posted by bfranklin at 8:25 AM on May 14, 2013 [1 favorite]

There are still a ton of Java vulnerabilities - but I'm kind of curious where you're finding all these embedded videos that require it, since I cant' even remember the last time I saw any video that used Java. Are you use you're not disabling Javascript? Javascript and Java are totally unrelated, despite the names.
posted by Tomorrowful at 8:28 AM on May 14, 2013 [1 favorite]

Java is still a big hole. Do you use noscript or the likes ? It can block java, and you can selectively allow it.

There are several proprietary viewers that use java, and I haven't found a need to watch the videos. The problem is figuring out which site to unblock, because it usually isn't the web page's host site. (jw player, I believe is one common one, PITA POS IMO)
posted by k5.user at 8:53 AM on May 14, 2013

@k5.user: NoScript is most commonly used to block JavaScript, not Java. And jwPlayer is a JavaScript and Flash player, not Java.

OP: if you're blocking JavaScript then you can stop. JavaScript was never the problem, and only shares a name with Java and nothing else. Also, Firefox automatically blocks Java now when it detects you're running a vulnerable version. So it's OK to not worry about it.
posted by sbutler at 9:24 AM on May 14, 2013 [3 favorites]

Tomorrowful: "There are still a ton of Java vulnerabilities - but I'm kind of curious where you're finding all these embedded videos that require it, since I cant' even remember the last time I saw any video that used Java. Are you use you're not disabling Javascript? Javascript and Java are totally unrelated, despite the names."

A lot of universities use Java for math (and etc.) presentations. I don't know why. It's almost exclusively where I encounter such things.
posted by boo_radley at 9:46 AM on May 14, 2013

I am not expert, but I rank Java second in line after Adobe as your most dangerous path for exploits.

You should not run either one from your browser by default. At least in Chrome, you can set plugins as click-to-run, which should be fairly safe.
posted by mattu at 11:47 AM on May 14, 2013

I am almost 100% certain that you disabled JavaScript because no video sharing sites use java that I'm aware of.
posted by empath at 12:08 PM on May 14, 2013

« Older How do I fix this overgrown plant that won't sit...   |   Docking stations and KVM switches and Synergy, oh... Newer »