Help solve information underload
September 14, 2005 1:45 PM   Subscribe

Online newspaper and magazine archive collections that are both reasonably priced and useful?

My employers had an account with Factiva, but I find the $2.95 cost per article on top of a yearly subscription for an individual account to be rather unreasonable. Their archives are quite extensive and I'm sorely missing the resource. Any other suggestions?
posted by poweredbybeard to Media & Arts (4 answers total)

Best answer: Check your public library. Many have subs to online archives you can use for free from home (Proquest, Ebscohost, etc.) if you have a library card. The Columbus (OH) library even has the online OED.
posted by words1 at 1:50 PM on September 14, 2005

Also try checking local university libraries. Many of them offer online access to articles, and many of them offer library access to non-students for a yearly/quarterly fee.
posted by CrunchyFrog at 2:29 PM on September 14, 2005

The New York Times Archive, which starts next week, sounds like a pretty good deal. It's $49.95/year (or $39.95 if you act now (by Sunday), and includes 100 articles from the archive/month, plus you can still get your Paul Krugman fix. It's free for print subscribers (at least for now).

The Onion just redesigned their web site and made the archives free.
posted by lukemeister at 8:27 AM on September 15, 2005

Response by poster: thanks lukemeister, but i'm looking for a service that collects many articles. for instance with factiva i could have it search the archives of the NYT, the toronto star, and... um... some european paper for a particular phrase.
posted by poweredbybeard at 1:42 PM on September 15, 2005

« Older Why is this flickr photo so popular?   |   Mac Game? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.