Art framing question - drawing a blank.
May 4, 2013 4:17 PM   Subscribe

What are those plastic clips called that are used to hold together a very simply framed photo or drawing?

There's a simple and inexpensive way to frame art that doesn't actually require a frame. It is possible to use little plastic clips that I believe are attached by tension with string to the edges of a piece of glass or plexiglass. It's possible to sandwich a photo or drawing between a piece of mat board and the glass, then hang the piece on the wall. I'd like to shop for those little clip things online. I have no idea what they are called or what this type of framing is called and my google searches aren't getting me there.
posted by cellura p to Home & Garden (9 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite
They're known as clip frames where I am, and the clips themselves are known as frame clips.
posted by goo at 4:25 PM on May 4, 2013

Gallery clips?
posted by telegraph at 4:27 PM on May 4, 2013

This is the closest I've managed to find, and you'd have to buy the glass and mat board separately.
posted by krakenattack at 5:21 PM on May 4, 2013

You could use an L-hook.
posted by QueenHawkeye at 9:14 PM on May 4, 2013

Swiss clips.
posted by Marit at 7:51 AM on May 5, 2013

You can also use small binder clips, which come in colors other than black. The wire 'handles' are easily removed.
posted by theora55 at 8:20 AM on May 5, 2013

Any art supply shop (Dick Blick, for example) or university bookstore with art stuffs is likely to have a clip frame. They have a simple Masonite-type board backing, glass, and clips to hold it all together. There will be a hanger on the back. If you have a large piece, I was very happy with my poster hanger. It got compliments and was very slim and unobtrusive. It is made to stick out from each side of the artwork a little so pay attention to the sizes but I'd buy those again.
posted by amanda at 9:20 AM on May 5, 2013

Gallery clips, Swiss clips, Euro clips, "frameless frame," or a "clip frame."
posted by blnkfrnk at 11:46 PM on May 5, 2013

Response by poster: Lots of good info. Thanks.
posted by cellura p at 2:40 PM on May 7, 2013

« Older What background screening services show someone's...   |   PowerPoint 2010, VBA to copy or create command... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.