How to replace a burner element?
April 24, 2013 8:31 AM   Subscribe

I need to figure out how to remove my stove's glass top to replace a burner that's stopped working.

I have an Inglis (Whirlpool) IMP8580 electric range - burners under glass top. Is there a simple way to remove the glass top to get at the burner? Customer service (outsourced / difficult to understand on the phone) seemed to be suggesting that the glass top can be lifted out, but I'm hesitant to try this without knowing for sure it's possible. It does seem like the glass isn't actually locked in, but sitting inside the frame, so it might be possible it can be gently pried out. I took the back off hoping I'd see see fuses somewhere, but it's nothing but wires. The manual gives instructions for a Lift-up Cooktop (on some models) but naturally, this isn't my model and there are no instructions for removing the glass on my model.
posted by davebush to Home & Garden (3 answers total)
There are some instructions here, it's not clear if it is for your specific model.
posted by HuronBob at 8:55 AM on April 24, 2013

here's another set of instructions.
posted by HuronBob at 8:58 AM on April 24, 2013

Check out Youtube for videos on doing this repair. It looks like glass does not have to be removed. The whole top lifts up and they are accessed from underneath. Not sure about your model.
posted by tman99 at 9:06 AM on April 24, 2013

« Older Architect versus contractor   |   Can you recommend companies for travel insurance?... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.