Help me find a book mentioned in a PSA?

I heard a PSA on a local college radio station of a book being read, but remember too little about it to find either the ad or the book. Help?

The ad was a man with a English accent reading an excerpt from a book. The excerpt in question was describing a man being chased through a jungle.

My interest was piqued, but I can't recall the name of the book, and my google-fu is failing to find the ad.

Anyone know what the ad is, or where I can find it so I can find this book?
posted by CitrusFreak12 to Media & Arts (6 answers total)

You should call the station; I'm sure they'd be able to help you out. When I worked at a college radio station, the PSAs were mostly read by DJs themselves or sent in by local nonprofits, so someone outside of your specific area might not be able to answer this question.
posted by threeants at 4:33 PM on April 21, 2013

Was it possibly the classic 1924 potboiler The Most Dangerous Game? [summary][wikipedia]
posted by dhartung at 5:19 PM on April 21, 2013

I'd definitely contact the station. When I was in college radio they just had a big binder full of PSA's next to the board, so calling up the DJ on air might get your answer. You might even be able to find the PSA person's contact info on their website.
posted by radioamy at 5:59 PM on April 22, 2013

It appears that most/all of the "commercials" on the station are PSAs from The Ad Council, but I'm not able to find it on their website. Will try contacting the station.
posted by CitrusFreak12 at 10:43 AM on April 24, 2013

When I read this the first time, I thought I knew exactly the PSA you were thinking of but did not know the book. It has been on for years. I finally heard it again this morning: PSA. Books is Call it Courage by Armstrong Sperry.
posted by dpaul at 6:45 AM on April 25, 2013

YES! THAT IS IT! Thanks dpaul!
posted by CitrusFreak12 at 12:39 PM on May 22, 2013

« Older Is this anthracnose on my Japanese maple?   |   self-conscious about teeth when smiling Newer »