Cute dessert idea for med school graduation

The majority of my friends are in medical school and are graduating this year. I'm a baker and wanted to give them all small gifts that are cute/tasty/medical or graduation-related. The only thing I could think of is decorated cookies (I do shortbread or brownie cookies) but any suggestions on shapes? Nothing too complicated, please!

I can also skip cookies and do something else entirely that might be more relevant, I have gift boxes for pretty much anything.
I specialize in French macarons so if anyone has a cute macaron related idea, I'd be interested in that as well!
Thank you :)
posted by picarosado to Food & Drink (12 answers total)

Have you considered hard baking cooked pancake batter put in the shape of medical equipment to scale? Here is what I mean. My thinking is to make the batter sweeter than normal or decorate it like a cookie. then present it in a long box or a doctor's bag if you have one lying around.
posted by parmanparman at 3:46 PM on March 29, 2013

Do you know whether they know what they're going to specialize in? You could make it appropriate to that- bacteria for a pathologist, organs for a surgeon, etc.
posted by Jpfed at 3:47 PM on March 29, 2013

@Jpfed, It's a mix including psychiatry, optho, internal med, and emergency med!
posted by picarosado at 3:53 PM on March 29, 2013

I once saw the most beautiful sugar cookie in the shape of a human heart, decorated realistically with red and pink frosting.
posted by Sara C. at 3:54 PM on March 29, 2013 [2 favorites]

Does the med school have interesting school colors? You could do French macarons in those colors.
posted by dayintoday at 3:58 PM on March 29, 2013

The rod of Asclepius! (As opposed to the caduceus. This gets complicated.)

It's a staff with a snake wrapped around it, so you could do decorated flat things, but I think it would be really cool to do something like a hard pretzel rod wrapped with a chocolate snake or something!
posted by Mizu at 3:59 PM on March 29, 2013 [3 favorites]

I did a post a while ago on science cookies. Revisiting that blog, it looks like she's done a bunch of science cookie roundups - many of the ideas there could suit your gift idea. (I particularly like the scrubs here and the flasks and test tubes here.)
posted by lalex at 4:01 PM on March 29, 2013 [1 favorite]

A macaron would be great as part of a stethoscope. You could sculpt the rest from marzipan or licorice or something.
posted by judith at 4:57 PM on March 29, 2013

Well the obvious choice would be gingerbread men with their arms and legs broken off, or decorated to be in casts, or with assorted gaping wounds or trauma. I think you could have a lot of fun with just some red and white icing.
posted by gueneverey at 7:00 PM on March 29, 2013 [3 favorites]

You can decorate cookies as pills. Same with macaroons.
posted by cacao at 7:05 PM on March 29, 2013

Easy: red blood cell cookies. Standard cookies, smoosh the centers.
posted by herrdoktor at 9:29 PM on March 29, 2013 [1 favorite]

Thanks, everyone!
posted by picarosado at 7:07 AM on March 30, 2013

« Older What is this mental health term that I'm trying to...   |   How should we deal with the neighbor's cat? Newer »