What is this mental health term that I'm trying to recall?
March 29, 2013 3:30 PM   Subscribe

A while ago I read a two-word term relating to mental health that I can't remember and it's driving me crazy.

The term conveyed that a person has a [delayed/stunted/numbed/etc] + [response/reaction/effect/etc], if that makes any sense. The term applies to either a symptom of some disorder like depression or trauma, or it's a side effect of a medication for such disorder. It implied that the person was affected in such a way that they were unable to care about something that a person in a normal state of mind would.
posted by side effect to Health & Fitness (6 answers total)
Blunt affect?
posted by dorque at 3:31 PM on March 29, 2013

Dulled affect is another term for that.
posted by limeonaire at 3:33 PM on March 29, 2013

dorque, you win all of the internet. Thank you so much! It was in my head for so long and I couldn't remember the exact words. RELIEF!
posted by side effect at 3:34 PM on March 29, 2013 [1 favorite]

Another term is flattened affect.
posted by melesana at 9:24 PM on March 29, 2013 [1 favorite]

Also anhedonia (though that's only one word).
posted by pennypiper at 11:09 PM on March 29, 2013

I also see it noted as "flat affect".
posted by Pomo at 4:47 AM on March 30, 2013

« Older New singer, old name   |   Cute dessert idea for med school graduation Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.