Super specific music request

OK, here it is. I'm in search of a cool version of the alphabet song.

It needs to be instrumental only (no singing, DEFINITELY no little kids singing) but could be any genre: electronic, orchestral, shoegaze, metal, whatever. Do you know of anything like this?

Apparently, the melody is the same as Baa Baa Black Sheep (I just figured that out today, because I am an idiot) so you can sub Baa Baa Black Sheep into this question if that helps.
posted by Mender to Media & Arts (8 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

It's also the melody of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, and you can't beat the Mozart version.
posted by Melismata at 1:58 PM on March 29, 2013 [1 favorite]

Whew, OK, I am a double idiot. Add Twinkle Twinkle Little Star to the list.
posted by Mender at 2:01 PM on March 29, 2013

The Piano Guys Twinkle Lullaby (Twinkle Little Star)
posted by zinon at 2:11 PM on March 29, 2013

Al McLean's version will have you wading your dejected way through a smoked-filled deserted bar at 3am in search of the sheep the star Z, for 7 minutes
posted by rongorongo at 3:01 PM on March 29, 2013 [1 favorite]

Not what you are seeking but for the same age group likely, Sly and Robbie doing the Sesame Street song. (I thought they did the ABC song but could only find this.)
posted by JohnnyGunn at 3:42 PM on March 29, 2013

Mozart's variations on Twinkle Twinkle Little Star?
posted by leahwrenn at 4:05 PM on March 29, 2013

I love the Mozart's variations and did so as a kid as well.
posted by radioamy at 7:21 PM on March 29, 2013

Hungarian composer Dohnanyi wrote quite a long piece based on the tune which is first heard at about 3 minutes in. One of the great joke pieces in classical music.

I like this quote from the Wikipedia article: "The Variations on a Nursery Tune, Op. 25, is a piece for piano and orchestra by Ernő Dohnányi. It is subtitled For the enjoyment of humorous people and for the annoyance of others."
posted by Coaticass at 1:36 AM on March 30, 2013

« Older So... Can I get one in my size?   |   What's the deal with levi's being so different? Newer »