What's cool in Manhattan on Wednesday?

A friend of mine and I have managed to both get this Wednesday (27-March-2013) off from work. She lives in Long Island and I live in New Jersey, so Manhattan seemed like a good middle ground to get together. The point is mostly to hang out and see each other, but we'd also like to visit whatever interesting things that might be around. My cleverest thought at this point is the Museum of Natural History, or to just wander and let serendipity happen. Are there any cool happenings Wednesday afternoon or evening I should keep in mind? Especially nifty lunch spots we might not have thought of?
posted by Karmakaze to Travel & Transportation around New York, NY (9 answers total)

I wandered into the little gallery at FIT over the weekend and was dazzled by some truly strange and wonderfully outrageous shoes. (The best ones aren't featured on the website.) And upstairs there's an exhibit covering innovations in fabric, which was less fun but super interesting.
posted by HotPatatta at 9:12 AM on March 25, 2013 [1 favorite]

A picnic at Highline Park, perhaps?
posted by gemutlichkeit at 9:13 AM on March 25, 2013

Heard NY
posted by unknowncommand at 9:39 AM on March 25, 2013

If I was there this week, I would take this in. Hopefully it would be cool and still allow time for a few other things.

Plus, some of the best food (IMO) in the city is in the food court there.
posted by Danf at 9:48 AM on March 25, 2013

Absolutely check out Heard NY! Performances at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.
posted by ThePinkSuperhero at 10:01 AM on March 25, 2013 [1 favorite]

At night, Connotation is a good storytelling and comedy show
posted by rmless at 10:16 AM on March 25, 2013

You can see the US premiere of the Albanian film Nëntori i dytë -- if for some reason you are so inclined, as I am -- for free, even.
posted by Dr. Wu at 10:35 AM on March 25, 2013

Nick Cave's (not that Nick Cave) dancing horses are performing at 11:00 am and 2:00 pm everyday in Grand Central Terminal this week. I just missed it today, and I'm very sad.
posted by lunalaguna at 2:55 PM on March 25, 2013

Yes -- the dancing horses piece in Grand Central is named "Heard NY."

Note: Creative Time posted to Twitter this evening:

"Please be aware that there is limited capacity in Vanderbilt Hall for Nick Cave's HEARD•NY."

Sounds like you'll probably need to get there a little early to view the performance.
posted by kathryn at 6:05 PM on March 26, 2013

« Older Retail marijuana in Washington state   |   What is this half-remembered snippet about karaoke... Newer »