Seeking funny novels about Chicago, Wicker Park, and if possible the Cub

Seeking funny novels about Chicago, Wicker Park, and if possible the Cubs. Prefer to avoid genre fiction and the self-published.

Philip Roth's Great American Novel comes up of course.
posted by BWA to Writing & Language (11 answers total) 9 users marked this as a favorite

and/or, that is to say. They don't have to hit all three targets at once.
posted by BWA at 8:10 AM on March 25, 2013

Robert Rodi's gay novels: Fag Hag, Closet Case, What they did to Princess Paragon
posted by brujita at 8:12 AM on March 25, 2013

kept boy...

The confusingly titled Crossing California, by Adam Langer, is set in West Rogers Park and is very funny.
posted by scratch at 8:13 AM on March 25, 2013 [3 favorites]

Then We Came to the End, by Joshua Ferris
posted by drlith at 9:41 AM on March 25, 2013

NPR's Scott Simon wrote a very funny book a few years back called 'Windy City'. You can find it here on Amazon
posted by Fferret at 10:21 AM on March 25, 2013

'Last Catholic in America'
One of the funniest books I recall reading as a kid. I think it ran for a long time as a stageplay in Chicago.
posted by exparrot at 10:29 AM on March 25, 2013

Bagtime by "Mike Holiday" (actually a Royko joint, if memory serves). Involves the Cubs, the Bears, robot Beatles and Treasure Island.
posted by klangklangston at 10:52 AM on March 25, 2013

Cooler by the Lake. No Cubs though
posted by rtimmel at 12:27 PM on March 25, 2013

They're YA books, ostensibly, but their strangeness is such that they appeal mostly to adults, I find. (And I'm a professional!) Daniel Pinkwater's The Education of Robert Nifkin (which is really excellent) and Bushman Lives! (which is seriously just a 200-page tour of the Chicago Pinkwater grew up in). Both are set in Chicago in the 1950s. Both are hilarious. The first line of Robert Nifkin: "My father is a son-of-a-bitch from Eastern Europe."
posted by goodbyewaffles at 5:02 PM on March 25, 2013

Too many good for any best of, and thanks to all! Very much appreciated.
posted by BWA at 7:17 PM on March 28, 2013

« Older The Innocents Abroad: Text Messaging+Parents...   |   Where to look for industry job positions and how... Newer »