Seeking funny novels about Chicago, Wicker Park, and if possible the Cub
March 25, 2013 8:09 AM   Subscribe

Seeking funny novels about Chicago, Wicker Park, and if possible the Cubs. Prefer to avoid genre fiction and the self-published.

Philip Roth's Great American Novel comes up of course.
posted by BWA to Writing & Language (11 answers total) 9 users marked this as a favorite

and/or, that is to say. They don't have to hit all three targets at once.
posted by BWA at 8:10 AM on March 25, 2013

Robert Rodi's gay novels: Fag Hag, Closet Case, What they did to Princess Paragon
posted by brujita at 8:12 AM on March 25, 2013

kept boy...
posted by brujita at 8:12 AM on March 25, 2013

The confusingly titled Crossing California, by Adam Langer, is set in West Rogers Park and is very funny.
posted by scratch at 8:13 AM on March 25, 2013 [3 favorites]

Then We Came to the End, by Joshua Ferris
posted by drlith at 9:41 AM on March 25, 2013

NPR's Scott Simon wrote a very funny book a few years back called 'Windy City'. You can find it here on Amazon
posted by Fferret at 10:21 AM on March 25, 2013

'Last Catholic in America'
One of the funniest books I recall reading as a kid. I think it ran for a long time as a stageplay in Chicago.
posted by exparrot at 10:29 AM on March 25, 2013

Bagtime by "Mike Holiday" (actually a Royko joint, if memory serves). Involves the Cubs, the Bears, robot Beatles and Treasure Island.
posted by klangklangston at 10:52 AM on March 25, 2013

Cooler by the Lake. No Cubs though
posted by rtimmel at 12:27 PM on March 25, 2013

They're YA books, ostensibly, but their strangeness is such that they appeal mostly to adults, I find. (And I'm a professional!) Daniel Pinkwater's The Education of Robert Nifkin (which is really excellent) and Bushman Lives! (which is seriously just a 200-page tour of the Chicago Pinkwater grew up in). Both are set in Chicago in the 1950s. Both are hilarious. The first line of Robert Nifkin: "My father is a son-of-a-bitch from Eastern Europe."
posted by goodbyewaffles at 5:02 PM on March 25, 2013

Too many good for any best of, and thanks to all! Very much appreciated.
posted by BWA at 7:17 PM on March 28, 2013

« Older The Innocents Abroad: Text Messaging+Parents...   |   Where to look for industry job positions and how... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.