How do I diet with a food allergy?

Is there a fully customizable online diet that will take into consideration food allergies and dislikes? Should I just find a dietician?

I would like to lose some weight, but I have a gluten intolerance. I am looking for a diet that I can live with that takes that into consideration. I would like a program like e-diet, but it didn't include that as an option. I am hoping to find a way to eat healthier in general, while still eating foods that don't make me sick. Should I just find a dietician to make a detailed plan for me?
posted by renyoj to Health & Fitness (6 answers total)

Assuming you already know how to eat around your allergies, the No S Diet may work for you. It's free and it's actually pretty easy to stick to.
posted by mds35 at 12:50 PM on September 8, 2005

No S, that might work.

A complicated diet is tough to stick to. For instance, what if the planned meal is chicken and you don't feel like chicken that day?

Stick with the basics:
Limit fats
Eat lots of vegetables
Drink lots of water
Eat complex carbohydrates, like brown rice, but not too much
Avoid sugars and simple carbohydrates

Just by changing what you eat you will likely lose weight, but if not eat less the No S way.
posted by caddis at 1:21 PM on September 8, 2005

Response by poster: Caddis, those things are good, but I could use recipes and ideas. It's a bit difficult to find things that are good and healthy when you're limited. The things I cook on a weekly basis are higher in fat than I should probably be eating. I need a sample plan of how to eat healthy while staying in my confined area.
posted by renyoj at 2:06 PM on September 8, 2005

I would recommend a subscription to Cooking Light. They have lots of recipes every month for tasty and low fat foods. Just avoid the ones with wheat products, or substitute some other grains therein. A gluten free diet is certainly not incompatible with low fat. The key to low fat cooking is finding lots of fresh and flavorful ingredients to use (they sometimes cost more). You might find lots of the alternative grains quite interesting. You probably already have a few gluten-free cookbooks. Don't they have low fat recipes? I would also check your local library. Most libraries have excellent cookbook collections.
posted by caddis at 3:38 PM on September 8, 2005

The online diet part? I haven't used it (and I'm hoping someone has) used ediets.com

I did take their quick survery, where I could see how they implement common diets (low glycemic, atkins, south beach, etc.) down to making a shopping list. I think you can remove certain foods as well. Worth a check
posted by filmgeek at 4:57 PM on September 8, 2005

Weight Watchers online (not to be confused with eTools which is for members who attend meetings only) lets you pretty much eat whatever you want, and has a very nice online interface for keeping track of what you've eaten, etc.

It also has recpies & meal suggestions that you can customize based on your likes/dislikes and any other dietary restrictions. They have a huge recipe database as well.
posted by tastybrains at 5:05 AM on September 26, 2005

« Older kitchenstyle   |   Phi Phi Pho Phum Newer »