best online GIS mapping tool

What is the best online GIS mapping tool that you've found or used for Censuis data visualization?

Looking for a good tool that would easily let me map race, income, demographics and other data on at least down to the tract level and especially over the past few decades. Something like what the Washington Post has here or the New York Times has here. I remember University of Minnesota having something like this at some point but can't find it - i am familiar with GIS but would love something to pull up statistics and maps quickly.
posted by waylaid to Society & Culture (5 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite

www.socialexplorer.com has a basic data set for free
posted by wikipedia brown boy detective at 11:00 AM on March 13, 2013

free data

free build-your-own-web-map-app

some learning curve involved, but a little trial and error ought to get you there
posted by j_curiouser at 11:14 AM on March 13, 2013

Response by poster: yes! It WAS socialexplorer I was looking for. Does anyone have any similar resources like that that dont have 2010 data restricted?
posted by waylaid at 11:21 AM on March 13, 2013

wait a sec...you asked for 'best', not 'free'...

so the licensed option has a great deal more features. it's tailored for organizational users.

<disclosure>i am not associated to esri in any way except as a user</disclosure>
posted by j_curiouser at 11:22 AM on March 13, 2013

If you download Census shape maps you can then import them into Google Fusion Tables via shpescape.com.
posted by croutonsupafreak at 1:40 PM on March 13, 2013

« Older I would rather you fall on the floor then do a...   |   What color clothing should I wear to downplay... Newer »