The Paranthetical Voice
February 10, 2013 10:31 PM   Subscribe

Is there a word for the change of tone of voice used to express a paranthetical phrase?

If so, what is it?
posted by slowlikemolasses to Writing & Language (6 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
I think it's "sotto voce".
posted by These Birds of a Feather at 10:35 PM on February 10, 2013 [4 favorites]

An aside?
posted by LobsterMitten at 10:38 PM on February 10, 2013 [3 favorites]

I found plenty of serious GB results for "parenthetical voice". Works for me.
posted by dhartung at 10:42 PM on February 10, 2013

FWIW I've come across "s/he added parenthetically" in some fiction. I would also go with "parenthetical voice".
posted by Ziggy500 at 4:34 AM on February 11, 2013

I've use the word "parenthetically" before a phrase in natural speech and my friends burst out laughing. I'm waiting in this thread to see what tone of voice I should have used.
posted by CathyG at 5:37 AM on February 11, 2013

Depending on context, free indirect speech can qualify - where the change of tone expresses an inward thought, unspoken, and effectively in parentheses.
posted by MuffinMan at 6:26 AM on February 11, 2013

« Older Appropriate discipline, boundaries for a...   |   How did they do the camera move in this old... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.