Replace a Mac MD313LL/A 12" Macbook Pro keyboard
February 1, 2013 7:31 PM   Subscribe

Replace a Mac MD313LL/A 12" Macbook Pro keyboard for a handicapped neighbor and I know very little about recent Mac tech.

I am helping a neighbor out. She spilled soda on her MacBook Pro 13" keyboard (the late 2011 2.4Ghz MD313LL/A model). I am having trouble tracking down notes on replacing her keyboard. I don't know enough about MacBooks to make any assumptions, so I want to move safely. I need to track down how to replace it and where to get a reputable replacement part.

I know MeFi's often love Macs, so I thought it might not be a bad idea to ask here.

Is to help, please?
posted by Samizdata to Technology (4 answers total)
My goto place is ifixit. Here is their page for the late 2011 unibody 13" Macbook Pro. I think you have to replace the entire upper case following the instructions here. iFixit's parts may not be the cheapest, but they're reputable.
posted by nightwood at 7:43 PM on February 1, 2013

When you do the replacement, pick up on of these Moshi Clearguard things that matches the size/model. Total life saver.
posted by bcwinters at 6:39 AM on February 2, 2013

The keyboard is part of the top case on all the unibody machines. This is every Apple laptop since late 2008. Regardless of where you source the part I wouldn't recommend replacing it yourself unless you are comfortable with a multi-step procedure, as this repair requires removing all the components (including the main logic board and display) and an ESD-safe workspace. There's also the possibility that the liquid has penetrated through the keyboard and affected other parts. Get a 2nd opinion from a nearby Apple Store or independent repair shop. Have the data backed up. Part is ~$150, labour about 1hr.

An external keyboard might be a cheaper and quicker solution.

iFixit (like nightwood suggested, though that part is WAY overpriced)
posted by now i'm piste at 4:24 PM on February 2, 2013

After further discussion with the person about feasibility and cost, I think we are going to go with a HDMI adapter (as she has the same 31" TV with HDMI inputs I have and never realized it was a monitor too), and a wireless mouse/trackball and keyboard so she can use it from her chair. That way we can also make sure it gets plenty of air for staying cool too.
posted by Samizdata at 12:44 PM on March 4, 2013

« Older Why did my iPhone's wifi range become terrible?...   |   StreetView Glitch In The Matrix Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.