Moving Emergency in Montreal

I need to move today. Last week I found a mover on Kijiji. Confirming about 11 pm last night, we found out that he didn't have a vehicle.

I have enough boxes/bags (three bags of clothes, one lap top bag, 8 bankers boxes of books, one box of misc. knick knacks, one desktop computer, one printer) that transporting it in a cab is not really going to happen. I have too little stuff that a moving company isn't going to work. I know no one in Montreal well enough, that drives, that is available, and can help at all. I have about 100 dollars to pay for about 3-5 hours of work (i need help packing as well).

I have emailed about 5 people who answered the kijiji ad last night. I have no idea what to do next.

any ideas.
posted by PinkMoose to Travel & Transportation around Montreal, QC (12 answers total)

Do the packing yourself and rent a cargo van for the day (assuming you're moving in town). In S. Florida a cargo van from Enterprise is about $90 for the day. Good Luck!
posted by PorcineWithMe at 3:46 AM on January 31, 2013

Response by poster: I can't drive.
posted by PinkMoose at 3:47 AM on January 31, 2013

Can that mover rent a vehicle for which you can pay? IE, does s/he have a license?
posted by DarlingBri at 3:51 AM on January 31, 2013

Response by poster: he doesn't, and it would go over the 100.
posted by PinkMoose at 3:52 AM on January 31, 2013

Response by poster: (trying not to thread sit)

Best answer: Call a local handyman/contractor: "I need a local guy with a van/truck, is someone on your crew free?"

"Oh yeah, joe can help, he normally does roofs but we're painting today so I don't have a job for him."
posted by sebastienbailard at 4:02 AM on January 31, 2013 [7 favorites]

A local shipping/packing supply shop "we sell big boxes and matress bags" should have a list of folk.
posted by sebastienbailard at 4:03 AM on January 31, 2013

Some cab companies have vans that you can request instead of their cars.
posted by windykites at 4:23 AM on January 31, 2013 [2 favorites]

Call a cab company. Explain your situation. Ask for two cabs. You ride with one with half your stuff, half your stuff rides with the other. The $100 may not cover it, though. Can you pay with a credit card?
posted by mdonley at 5:03 AM on January 31, 2013

Do you have a friend who could drive a rented truck for you? You could probably fit most of that stuff in a pick up truck--even if you have to make more than one trip. This really sounds like a job two people could do if you don't have any health considerations that would prevent you from packing and carrying things.
posted by Kimberly at 5:03 AM on January 31, 2013

Call the cab company and arrange a minivan. Should be able to get it all in two trips max.
posted by Slap*Happy at 5:27 AM on January 31, 2013

Response by poster: Sebastien solved it! Thanks all.
posted by PinkMoose at 5:38 AM on January 31, 2013 [2 favorites]

« Older Should I buy my friend's car? How can we fairly...   |   How to thank rehab facility folks helping my mom? Newer »