What kind of computer or tv monitor is this?
January 24, 2013 7:14 AM   Subscribe

I need to rephotograph some stuff off a computer monitor and I love the texture of the screens in this clip from Moneyball, especially in the extreme close ups and player head shots. The visible honeycomb of pixels is what I'm interested in. I've shot stuff off a Cinema Display (no visible pixels really) and broadcast monitor (visible but rectangular) before and it doesn't look like this. Any idea what kind of monitor or LCD looks like this?
posted by nathancaswell to Technology (10 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
Can you link to a clip on youtube or post a screenshot or something? People may not want to download your gigantic .mov file.
posted by DarlingBri at 7:20 AM on January 24, 2013

Best answer: Can't look at the video right now, but I believe the term you're looking for is subpixel rendering. The only arrangement that I can see that might resemble a honeycomb is a PC CRT, but that's not a flat panel LCD.
posted by dobi at 7:21 AM on January 24, 2013

Could it be a pentile matrix? That's all I can think of.
posted by selfnoise at 7:24 AM on January 24, 2013

Response by poster: JPGS

posted by nathancaswell at 7:24 AM on January 24, 2013

Best answer: I seem to recall my old largish CRTs looking like this.

Try google images for shadow mask, or the rarer aperture grille.

Didn't they have CRTs on their desks in Moneyball?
posted by snuffleupagus at 7:32 AM on January 24, 2013

How large is this screen? Could those shapes be clusters of LEDs?
posted by RonButNotStupid at 7:33 AM on January 24, 2013

Best answer: Looks like a CRT with a shadow mask display. Some CRTs have rectangular subpixels and others have circular ones. I'm not sure if you can find details like that by buying online but you might be able to find one in a thrift store for cheap.
posted by cornmander at 7:34 AM on January 24, 2013

you might be able to find one in a thrift store for cheap.

Also, any word/data-processing heavy professional office in an industry that is slow to upgrade may have piles of surplus CRTs in storage closets and the like that can easily be had for the asking, if you know anyone in charge of an office like that....law firms, accountants, sales or marketing departments, etc. Offices often hold on to old equipment until they simply run out of storage space for it, because it's easier than getting rid of it.
posted by snuffleupagus at 7:43 AM on January 24, 2013

I would assume that any film with Brad Pitt and a $50 million dollar budget would have art directors and visual effects people involved when images of the computer screen are filling the entire frame.

It could be that they picked a specific screen technology, but I think it is even moe likely that they just generated things to look how they wanted it to look. No screen or camera involved until the printing phase (assuming it isn't digitally projected)
posted by Good Brain at 1:15 PM on January 24, 2013

Going further, I'll just point out that the shots where you can see a character and the screen in the same shot, there is no pulsing of the image caused by difference in sync between the screen's refresh rate and the ~24 frames per second of the film camera used to shoot the movie. That required deliberate effort on someone's part (even if it is standard operating procedure these days). Eveidence that there is artifice in the way the screens look and feel.

Contrast that to the images used when he is talking about the origins of the statistical technique of assembling a team. They look like they are xeroxes of pages prepared on a typewriter. We are even given a flash of a date. 1978.

This same typewritten look is carried forward, as they are displaying the individual player dossiers, but it is also clear that they are being displayed on a computer screen because.
posted by Good Brain at 1:37 PM on January 24, 2013

« Older Low cost (free) ERP software.   |   How do I clean cotton napkins? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.